Magic Canvas to 3D Print - Round 2

Greetings -

I’ve been practicing Fusion 360 for 3D stuff and wanted to do a sample. (For comparison here’s my early effort - The Skull Key.) I think this new one is much better. :wink: .

Here we go -

I’m working with yellow & Orange right now, so what could be more yellow than this -

I think I have a rhythm down of converting to SVG, in Lightburn, and working out the sizes / proportions and layers that’ll work for what I need -

Then importing to Fusion360 to create base shapes & objects from each layer -

Then fillet, chamfer and round them for smoother edges -

Of course, I could skip the Lightburn step and do that in Fusion, but I don’t it well enough yet. Plus, I’ll still use Lightburn, for cutting flat stuff by exporting to the GF. Easy way to check final spacing before committing to a couple hour 3D print. :wink:

Anyway, back to the Chick -

My next learning goal in Fusion is setting up the pattern of ‘holes’ that are Ikea Skadis compatible. It’s as good as any ‘standard’ to learn the software. Then poop the file to the 3D printer software -

And don’t forget the ‘parts’ -

Print it -

Accessorize it - Because what doesn’t go better with googly eyes…

And make a second version for self mounting.

Thanks Magic Canvas.

HL

22 Likes

I really like the way you took that basic image and iterated it into what you wanted.

8 Likes

Nice project. Never would have guessed what it was eventually going to turn into!

9 Likes

Oh wow, that makes me want a 3d printer…but nooooo I can’t do another craft, my husband will kill me!

10 Likes

Very cute! Looks like you’re off and running in Fusion 360.

6 Likes

Fun stuff!

4 Likes

It’s not that you want a 3D printer. It is that you need a 3D printer :rofl:

7 Likes

I know, but seriously, I go way overboard on crafts…but such good things can be made!

2 Likes

Nice! I enjoy Fusion360 and have found it even easier to use for my new 3d printer than for my Glowforge; no 2d translation stage.

I’m starting to learn Blender for more organic design and refinement, along with a new glimmer of parametric design.

4 Likes

Thx all!

You might be the first person I’ve seen say that. :wink:

Granted I’ve only been taking lessons for a couple weeks, but I’m generally surprised at the level of non-intuitiveness this software exceeds. You would think it was made by Adobe… It does have amazing capabilities, and gets easier, once you understand it’s made for an engineering process / brain, not an artistic one.

Seriously, just placing an existing SVG or an object and setting the scale is bonkers non-intuitive, for no apparent reason. But I’m just starting on the Sketch functions in earnest, and quickly learning how I’ve been using it ‘wrong’. :slight_smile: In any event, I’m making great progress now, and that’s about as much as I ever complain…

I also tried Blender, and one other mesh editor, a few months ago when I started using TinkerCad to get going in 3D. Building something with exact measurements is not what Blender is about, so I didn’t get far at the time. But it was impressive, once you have a framework to manipulate. So I’m sure it’ll come back into my toolbox once I get further along.

@rvogt I quickly learned, you actually need two printers. So plan on seeking forgiveness accordingly. :sunglasses:

HL

4 Likes

Fusion 360 is great and works pretty much just like it should. It took me forever to learn Adobe Illustrator because it didn’t work like CAD.

They are definitely like gateway drugs.

4 Likes

I did NOT like it when I first tried to learn it, and I backed away. I was trying to bend it to my will, and that was a mistake.

My second attempt was more humble, embracing the strangeness. It’s not as I would have built it, but when I can keep to its lanes I am rewarded. I’m still not perfectly adept and I make mistakes in the timeline, but I keep improving.

6 Likes

Well, now you know at least two. :wink:

I love it, I do. Fusion 360 has a learning curve that is like a curb in that at first glance it seems hard but one full project in and (for me anyway) it is much easier and while you can get the job done using just a few tools, it has a whole quiver full for when they are needed.

Don’t give up on it until you have finished at least one project with it.

That said, if you find something that just “clicks” for you, GREAT, there is no one perfect software and what works for you depends a lot on how you approach things.

Finally, when you try it again and if you get stuck somewhere, ask for help! we, the community are here.

6 Likes

Opposite for me. Long time Illustrator, Vectorworks, Sketchup, Rhino user - Fusion makes no sense at all :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I love the finished piece—very clever design!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.