Magnetic pincushion

I need to up my sanding game. I just have a orbital sander.

1 Like

I love doing this. One of the great things about the GFUI, camera, and accurate calibration. Not really difficult at all. I know I cannot do this on the giant Universal laser at my local makerspace.
A real time saver when working with smaller material sheets/scraps.

And I’ve been told I need to make “needle minders” like this. A friend said she could sell lots in her cross-stitch groups. On it!

4 Likes

I used a combination of a disc sander, orbital sander and sanding blocks, with a dash of freehand sanding paper to round corners.

You could do it all with a hand block, it would just take longer. Grinding the edges down is a fair bit of material to remove, the disc sander was far faster than doing it by hand.

I use a ryobi like this one:

RYOBI BD4601G Bench Sander Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8RK1JU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_3aN9Fb5DJD4X3

2 Likes

It’s a nice quick project. You should make a few. If you skip the inlay part it’s dead simple.

1 Like

I’ve never seen sewing needles that weren’t plain steel. I suppose maybe someone is selling stainless or titanium needles that might not be magnetic… but the vast bulk of commodity needles are ferrous steel I think.

1 Like

As someone who sews, this is really classy:-)

3 Likes

I have spilled what I discovered at that point stainless steel pins that did not pick up with a magnet :confounded:

2 Likes

The best sanding will be done with your hand, perhaps with a sanding block assist :grin:

It’s simply beautiful! Any sewer would be delighted to put it to use.

3 Likes