Magnetic pincushion

A simple inlaid pin holder.

3" diameter (top) 3.3" diameter (bottom)
1/8" maple and walnut, 1/16" maple and walnut.
Wipe on satin polyurethane
1/16" thick neodymium magnet. (Amazon.com)

The gist is that there are three 1/8" layers, and a pair of 1/16" layers. I could have done an engraved pocket for the magnet at about 1/16" deep, but I had the 1/16" stock in maple and walnut so I just did it as layers. Kept the inlay process a lot simpler.

Here it is before polyurethane and sanding. The pins are pretty secure on there, they would definitely stay stuck to the surface if I pick it up.

That’s about all I have to say about that, simple project.

41 Likes

Ooooh :heart:

The difference between
image quite pretty, cool design
and
image it glows! I wanna touch it!!

is impressive.

16 Likes

Love this idea!

7 Likes

So much prettier than other magnetic pin holders I’ve seen!

3 Likes

Now this is a practical cut that is outstanding AND gorgeous.

2 Likes

The walnut veneer you used really glows in the light and contrasts nicely with the maple. Very neat idea of a practical project. :blush:

2 Likes

I used 1/16” walnut and maple on that layer. It’s much more durable than true 1/42” veneer.

I got it from Kim Oberlin, if you’re looking for some.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Kim%20Oberlin

4 Likes

Oh, I like it! Good to know that the magnet is effective under 1/16” of wood.

3 Likes

Yeah the first thing I did was lay some wood on top of the magnet and try it out. Entire thing would have been a waste of time if it didn’t :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe interesting to some: I was able to cut all the parts in one job, even though there were 4 different materials.

Red: 0.125" walnut
Green: 0.125" maple
Blue: 0.0625" maple
Purple: 0.0625" walnut.

This, to me, is the best daily reason to wish you had a pro. Makes it really easy to slip materials in from the front and efficiently run jobs like this.

9 Likes

Did you put the height into the manual settings in order not to do a defocused cut, or was .06 not a big enough of a difference to matter?

1 Like

Yup.

2 Likes

Nice. Good contrast in the woods.
Those magnets also make a good bottle-cap catcher hot glued under the mounted opener.

One could also engrave a pocket for the magnet into 1/8" to get it close to the surface.
The first time I had the magnet stack delivered it was stuck about waist high on my insulated front door.

Those are the only magnets that ever drew blood on me.

7 Likes

Yeah…

I considered it but then it’d be down to trial and error to get the pocket depth correct, and engraving is slow. I had plenty of 1/16" stock, so cutting was definitely the right move for me. If all I had was 1/8" I would have done that instead.

1 Like

I see they also sell 1/8 magnets. That is a very interesting idea! Though thinking an array of smaller magnets could use a larger face and either cup magnets or steel washers might reduce the hold to what is underneath,

Yup I have some. The issue was that I wanted the magnets to be completely hidden and still have good holding power, so 1/16" thick was the direction I chose. I tried it with 1/8" wood and the magnets just didn’t hold the pins as well.

Yeah, I have no 1/16th so that was my first thought.

1 Like

1/8 for the hole and 1/16 for the surface, Also I think that the washers on the other side increases the side without them, not sure where I read that.

If I were going to do that, I’d do the inlay first, then jig it up and engrave the pocket through the inlaid wood. The request was for a “magnetic pincushion that isn’t ugly”, so inlay came first.

I’ve done inlay/jig/engrave-cut before on a lot of my round boxes. It works well.

4 Likes

A super success! I’m sure they will love it! Just make sure the pins are magnetic!

1 Like