Mailbox “Saddle “

My mother likes to decorate our mailbox differently every year. I decided to design a stable platform on which to place whatever decorations she wanted.

After several iterations, I Sketched Up a design I liked.

Her mailbox is huge. Some assembly was required. Bolts and wing nuts secure the “stirrups” to the platform top. Small bungee cords stretch between the stirrups across the bottom of the mailbox to keep things secure. (Not pictured)

I wanted to paint the pieces to match the mailbox but was outvoted by my mother who just wanted a clear finish. In the future, I may make a clear acrylic one. I think it might be effective for some decorations.

Happy Holidays.

57 Likes

Really great idea, what a great gift for your mom …

3 Likes

Super cool idea

3 Likes

Excellent idea. That looks like a nonstandard size mailbox, so would be hard to find something like this, assuming you could even buy one.

5 Likes

Nice work!

5 Likes

I have never seen a mailbox “saddle”, but it certainly is a nice innovation.

7 Likes

I bet the mail delivery human gets a kick out of seeing what she puts up for each holiday! This is a very neat project.

7 Likes

Nice practical cut!

4 Likes

That is a great idea! Looks really beautiful!

6 Likes

Well done! I’m sure it will be much easier to decorate now.

4 Likes

That’s such an awesome idea!! And I assume you’re going to Glowforge the accessories too, huh? Mother’s Day is coming…

3 Likes

Oooh, I love a custom designed project. Turned out great and very practical. I think a clear acrylic version would be really nice.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for all of the positive feedback. In answer to some of your comments:

The term “Saddle “ is how I first described it to my mother, and the name stuck.

I tried to find a product I could buy for this purpose, but the closest thing I could find is for placing flower arrangements on tombstones. It wasn’t appropriate to the task, and was too small for the world’s largest residential mailbox. :smile:

I am already brainstorming laser cut designs for future decorations. Early ideas include a wooden “gingerbread “ village, and Santa’s sleigh and reindeer.

3 Likes

Fantastic

1 Like

Looks great and makes the decorating easier.

However, her powered mailbox shames my low tech mailbox (or is that solar/battery).

2 Likes

Solar. :smile:

2 Likes

You are really setting the bar high in the neighborhood…looks awesome. Will you be selling these patterns…hopefully!

1 Like

I can see this put in service on every holiday/celebration time. Nice gift to your mom.

2 Likes

I don’t have any plans to sell the pattern. A design that could accommodate the many brands and sizes of mailboxes would either have to be parametric or have many adjustable parts. Either option is far above my skill level.

As it was, despite much time measuring the box, I could never get the curve of the top just right in my design, and had to settle for four points of contact.

On reflection, I think that a more elegant design could be achieved by ignoring the curve and having four adjustable contact points and a straight, flat frame.

Well, that’s got me thinking. :smile:

1 Like

My mother has already started thinking of something to put on it for Easter. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like