Make a walking automaton (kinetic toy)

Hi everyone! I wanted to share this whimsical project. It’s not very practical but i think it has some character. The base is made out of 3mm (1/8 inch) plywood and the figure is made with
medium weight construction paper:

walkingSquare

A couple of years ago I made a file for a similar toy that I designed using Illustrator, but I didn’t like that you couldn’t specify the material thickness or the kerf compensation. But enter Cuttle.xyz and now it’s possible! You can find the project here.

If you’ve made any finger joint boxes with your machine with any box generator this should be very familiar to you, as the base of the toy is basically a box cut in half diagonally. If you are new to making boxes I’d suggest watching this video.

I also put together a short 5 minute video for the assembly that briefly walks you through the process of downloading the files and putting it together:

The inspiration for this project was a series of little hand cranked figures I made back in 2017, you can watch a short video of all 29 of them:

They were all hand-made with bits of wood and paper clips, and this walking character was particularly popular which gave the idea for sharing an easy laser-cuttable project. :

makevember-nov-6

I’d be curious to know if you would like to see a laser-cuttable template based on any of the characters above?

Please let me know which one do you think would fun to make next :grinning:
Happy holidays!

84 Likes

I was enthralled watching this on YT, I really like the use of a living hinge pattern to give the figure a more natural gait. Well done!

10 Likes

Heck yeah! I love mechanical automatons! Great job on them! :grinning:

11 Likes

Very cool!!

7 Likes

Super cool!!

6 Likes

+1 for automatons, they always get my vote.

10 Likes

I love these so much! Automatons are my favorite.

6 Likes

Your automatons are Wonderful!
Thank you for sharing!

5 Likes

Very cool, thanks for sharing it!!

6 Likes

Really cool! Not something you see everyday.

3 Likes

Really wonderful little creations! Lots of inspiration here.

5 Likes

This is very cool. It’s mesmerizing to watch.

3 Likes

So quirky and cool!

3 Likes

All of them?!?

But seriously, the boat on the water, the top hatted octopus, and the cat flying a bird are all stand-outs for me :smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome job, the video was fantastic. you are so talented.

1 Like

They’re all great but my favorite has to be the octopus! The dragon (?) with spinning eyes is runner up.

2 Likes

So much fun!

2 Likes

I have always loved these sorts of toys! It would be fun to create some of my own. I wonder if you could use veneer instead of paper if you score the areas that need to bend (or put in small living henge cuts there)?

Very cool! Would make a nice addition to a few desks. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Totally love this!