Make Magazine Article on Laser Cut/Engraved Leather Stamp

I wonder what you could get out of a car jack

2 Likes

LOL :laughing:

1 Like

There’s usually a rating listed directly on the jack, but a hydraulic bottle jack is a hydraulic bottle jack. The inexpensive hydraulic presses use the same bottle jacks that are used for car jacks these days, just with appropriate ratings and heavy framing to make them useful.

5 Likes

Depends what you put into the car, jack

5 Likes

Well, one thing I’ve done in the past is deliver car jacks. I got to tell you, thought, that they lie. The box says “6 ton jack”, but it only weighs 1.5-2 tons at the most.

11 Likes

That’s how I made mine. I just welded on some 1/2" thick steel plates to make it work.

3 Likes

That’s what I plan on using my GF for. Embossing plates.

4 Likes

We do this all the time with clamps, and in some cases just books sitting on it overnight. This was a very large indentation, as compared to a typical logo or line, since most of the leather was compressed with a smaller raised region. Perhaps that required the additional pressure.

4 Likes

Or if you want to go very low-tech, you could build a Lil’ Screwy:

11 Likes

Yes. Lil’ Screwy was just a fun build and how he demonstrated it. He really has come into his own. This one is pretty SFW. Actually this would meet almost all of my needs.

3 Likes

I have an older friend that doesn’t like this guy that much. Me? I enjoy the sayings he has sometimes. My favorite? “Son-of-a-diddly”. Keeps me from actually swearing so I count that as a plus! :wink:

8 Likes

For something this sized a roller type press would work. At the cheaper end something like a Fiskars Fuse or Big Shot Pro. I picked up a FF super cheap when they were discontinued and tried a craft store metal plate for paper embossing on 4oz veg tan, worked very nicely tho the paper design plates are pretty shallow. I’m interested in deeper patterns like the gorgeous pieces Oberon Designs turns out. Looking forward to making my own design plates when my Pro arrives!

3 Likes