Make Magazine review of Glowforge

computer correction of lens distortion is, speaking in terms of the industry, relatively easy. lots of even pretty good lenses are actually engineered with the idea that aberrations will be corrected in software.

this isn’t to say that this company has or hasn’t fixed it, but just that it’s no sort of insurmountable objective.

6 Likes

Well, I’m not so sure. Yes, theoretically, lens distortion correction is a mathematically straightforward process. Practically speaking, however, you face all sorts of imperfections, which when coupled with the very shallow light beam angles we’re dealing with, greatly magnify errors in calculations. The saving grace is that the Forge also has a head camera to help out. IMHO, that’s the only way we’re going to match or surpass the Muse’s 0.05" placement accuracy.

5 Likes

i’m pretty sure. i think lens correction is a known quantity. that doesn’t mean that the lenses used here aren’t incontrovertibly flawed (i mean i hope not but i obviously can’t say one way or the other).

ya one hopes

2 Likes

I am certain that I saw a statement long ago that the lens in the lid camera was an expensive custom component that was definitely not consumer grade.

3 Likes

Yeah, but Brady is kind of new to all of this. Hard to tell how much of his issues were operator issues.

It’s been quiet on the Silenda front though.

I’ve got my fingers crossed too!

yes, we’re all just guessing here. Cheers to being pleasantly surprised! :wine_glass:

3 Likes

Well… the stated accuracy anyway. How many videos or samples have we actually seen? Independent reviews?
I’m pretty sure that two production machines have to go head to head at the Nürburgring for a real comparison between the two.

7 Likes

As @B_and_D_T said, I was asking Dan if the camera megapixel resolution was a limiting factor in being able to discern detail, and he replied that it is the lens, and that the lens was custom and very expensive.

6 Likes

(This is the quote that comes to mind on this topic.)

6 Likes

Dan’s reply to my question of camera resolution;

“5 megapixels, if memory serves - but as any photographer will tell you, the limit is the lens, not the sensor. It’s an extremely expensive, custom lens design to view that wide, from that close, and even then it can’t resolve across the entire bed at 5 megapixel resolution.”

4 Likes

i’m not surprised; it seems like fully custom optics would be an expensive and labor intensive process.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a very specialized lens. And yes, we will be dramatically improving the lens accuracy via software.

24 Likes

Actually I got an update email on Saturday 1/28( or friday?).

2 Likes

Yeah, came out right after I posted my note :slight_smile:

1 Like

For an average hobbyist, perhaps. Lasers are just like any other computer or machine. Parts fail. Things need to be fixed. This particular issue happened to me the day before I made the comment… and it was about the 4th time it’s happened in 3 years at the shared maker space (where the lasers rarely rest). So, maybe rare for other people, but not me. :wink:

3 Likes

Sounds like a design flaw to me. A well designed PSU should last more than 3 years of constant use if it has been specified to do that. If it hasn’t then they cheaped out on it.

1 Like

yeah, this is what i meant. i wasn’t applying a hobbyist pov; it’s simply something that shouldn’t be happening that often.

Should and do. shrugs

1 Like

ok.