Make Your Own Vinyl Records - But What About Liner Notes?

From the person who rescued the Polariod, comes make your own record.
https://phonocut.com/

The website doesn’t have much anyone would recognize as a spec, but news stories say ten minutes per side (without an rpm given.) One of the co-founders complains you can’t lick digital music like you can a record, so umm, I guess, there is that in case the quality isn’t great. No info on where you will get the taste great vinyl blanks from, or how much they will cost. Maybe when it goes up on Kickstarter tomorrow (Oct 15) they will provide those niggling details.

We’ve all been wondering about these additional heads glowforge has been planning. Maybe a vinyl lathe to make the records we SHOULD NEVER EVER CUT with our laser? The glowforge would seem to have the lead when it comes to making your own cover art and liner notes. I mean, that’s what records are all about right?

5 Likes

Interesting… the hard part is converting the music into the signal for the cutter in the vinyl that the needle in the player than converts back into sound. The reason many folks don’t like CD or digital music is the conversion of analog to digital–which pending how well it was mastered, could lose some of the original sound as the analog signal is converted into a digital version. MP3 and streaming digital further compresses that signal and loses a lot more (though most folks can’t hear that difference, but many can).

Can’t imagine you can produce a good analog signal converting it back from an already compressed digital file–since “connect to any player” means it’s aimed at folks only owning digital devices. This device cann’t address the real reason people like vinyl (analog source) over digital recordings (CD, MP3 etc). Wonder if all they are really doing is adding hisses and pops back in to fill the gaps in the signal lost from original analog to digital conversion and their attempt to make it sound “analog” again.
(Which is what the mastering guys at Sony would do for the high-end CDs to appease audiophiles–I was a process engineer at one of the Sony CD plants that had a recording & mastering studio inside it).

2 Likes

Old school approach for comparison:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.