Maker Faire Bay Area 2017: San Mateo

It’s amazing! You should come!

5 Likes

I’m thinking of taking off Friday and going to Maker Faire from LA. I’ve never been to one. My main reason for going would be seeing the Glowforge and getting some real user perspective on what I can expect it to do. Any opinions on if I should go for the 3 day pass? The Glowforge Talk Show folks seemed underwhelmed by the NY showing last year. (My take away and memory. Not facts!)

My hope would be there’s a lot more to show off this time since we are nearing the ship date, right? And there are Glowfans with their own booths, so there may be less of a signing booth line experience right? Are there any other Glowforge events scheduled around this show I should sign up for? Can test files and materials be brought?

I really don’t know what to expect and appreciate anyone with prior experience or inside knowledge sharing. Thanks! Maybe I’ll see you there!

1 Like

I would not expect to be able to use any custom materials. It will be very busy on Saturday. It’s also very worth it. I don’t recall if Friday passes were available to the general public last year, but @jacobturner and @rebecca were there on Friday last year if my memory hasn’t completely failed me.

1 Like

I fly in early Thursday. Plan to meet anyone who can make it at Ramen Dojo, and will be staying in the San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport. Other meetings of the Glowfolk quite welcome, I just needed something to do on Thursday, and figure it is best to meet up with anyone in the area BEFORE the crazy hits.

Got to find my nametag from NY Maker Faire now…

@caribis2: Friday passes are available for standard purchase. I got one again. Friday is absolutely the best time to check out the Glowforge booth, as there is not really much time to talk with full attendee crowd pressing in and chattering away.

@thanos2001: NY and Bay Area are completely different Maker Faires. And you come for the Glowforge, but you are there for the full 3 days for EVERYTHING ELSE. And there is a LOT of the everything else.

1 Like

Hey, backstage passes to all the Glowfolk who come to my booth. Stay tuned and you will find out how to give the secret sign. Seriously.

7 Likes

@jacobturner and I did attend last year. I wondered around of Friday and Saturday. Both days were great, but Friday was much less crowded.

Since several Glowfolk have booths, I am sure you will be able get in close to see how the machine works.

It’s also great to meet folks from the forum and Glowforge staff! I will be wandering around on Friday and Saturday this year.

4 Likes

Took Friday off and taking the bus from LA. Couldn’t find a direct route to San Mateo, so I got a 1 day pass and will see you folks on Saturday. Very exciting!

4 Likes