Making a Wooden Link Sword

Yesterday I went downtown to Little Tokyo DAISO and found an awesome really plain wooden sword (for Link) and I really wanted to get it to use as a prop, but I had already spent a ton of $$$ that day, and since I didn’t really need it I didn’t end up getting it. I hope by the time I get my GlowForge in December I can go back there and get one (b/c I really want a wooden sword and I think it would be a great thing to Laser Engrave.)
I really want a wooden sword…

2 Likes

You could probably cut a wooden sword with the GF, and then engrave it. That way, you don’t have to buy one at all. Make it all yourself!

1 Like

Just get a section of 2 x 4 at Home Depot, use their complimentary miter saw & box to cut the pieces right there for free, some glue, and some paint, and you’ll have one for very little $$.

Even less $$ if you have the paint, or use a sharpie…

:grin:

1 Like

Aw, heck, if you go on the first Saturday of the month, they have the free kid activities…you can even get some paint from them for free!

1 Like

That’s awesome. Thanks!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

im making a couple of swords in the coming weeks. Ill upload photos when theyre done

2 Likes

Awesome!!! :slight_smile:

Heres the first one. Its mordecais sword from borderlands. Modeled in fusion 360 from some original artwork.

The first photo is a game model (bottom blocky) I ripped and imported to compare to the model I built (top shiny one).It doesnt have a hilt or cross guard in this photo as those pieces are being made elsewhere. Its dimensions turned out perfect. Looks like they modeled it from the same drawing I did.

Here it is cut out, ready for cleanup:

20 Likes

Oh man that’s super rad!

1 Like

Thanks!

I missed this somehow. Not really into cosplay etc on a personal level - but seeing the artistry involved and end product, I can certainly appreciate (and excited to see more when the GF’s actually ship)!

2 Likes

Yeah, in all honesty I’m not really into dressing up either, but my girlfriend is, and it gives me an excuse to make things I wouldnt otherwise as well as an avenue to meet like-minded makers.

So in cases like these, not only do I get to make awesome stuff, and help my girlfriend (and sometime other friends) on their way to being famous cosplayers, but I also get another cool piece to add to my design portfolio. Industrial design and prop making is something I would love to find myself doing as a living someday. I’m getting ever closer.

4 Likes