Making edge grained patterned plywood

20 Likes

This was very fun to watch. Lots of potential for sure.

2 Likes

its really cool… but it seems like a LOT of work, for what you could have done with a strip of wood as a fascia.

1 Like

that strip of wood (edge banding) would be plain, not patterned like this.

1 Like

but YOU COULD stick it in a Glowforge… and have any pattern / design you want.

:stuck_out_tongue:

PS: notice the guy uses nothing but festool… quality stuff there.

2 Likes

Very interesting indeed.

Love this guy!

The way he showed his mistake and had a good laugh about it, was great. I also enjoyed, and can identify with the band-aid on his finger.

5 Likes

I don’t know how dumb this sounds, but my first thought before actually watching the video was that you were gonna stick a thick board of wood in a Glowforge, with a mirror at a 45 degree angle in front of it, in order to engrave on the edge. Maybe a strip of polished copper/brass as the mirror since it’s a good IR reflector.

2 Likes

I think I would cut the panels like 1/2" smaller in both directions, made the strips 1/4" thick, and use the edge pattern as a feature, instead of veneering the faces.

2 Likes

I’m so glad he’s (mostly) using safety devices. I did cringe a bit with the bandsaw; I’d make a sacrificial pusher stick for that last inch. Major props for the mask & apron/gloves. Love that tablesaw!

3 Likes

I love watching things like this, but would never, ever spend that much time edging my plywood.

[Happy cake day @kelley1!]

4 Likes

Yes, there were several times that fingers were way too close to blades for my comfort level!

2 Likes

As you know I am still a beginner in so many areas… So I guess this is the basic technique in how cutting boards are made? So interesting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.