Making masks and face shields for healthcare workers

I’d be interested to hear once you receive a reply from him, thanks!

Along the same lines as what Jules posted, I had this idea - I made these clips, they snap onto a baseball cap and then the sheet can be clipped in from below. I don’t have any acetate but if it works with regular paper.

The beauty of this is it can all be done on a laser, and be shipped flat. Of course it requires you to already have a cap…

cap clip

10 Likes

@ Jules this is AMAZING

2 Likes

@jules, was that. 12x12 piece of Mylar

This would be a quick and easy way to go if any of us in our own homes needed the extra protection. It could be whipped up at a moment’s notice. And, you’re right…I don’t have a 3D printer although I happen to know someone who has a laser…just in case. :grin:

2 Likes

Yep! You can buy them at the link from Amazon. Dirt cheap, and even 4 mil mylar works just fine.
(I ordered a batch to test it before suggesting it…it’s plenty strong enough.)

1 Like

Like if one family member gets sick, the other folks can don one?..You betcha! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My thought exactly. Thanks!

1 Like

Jules…looked on Amazon but not sure which ones you bought…how thick are they?

I got this pack, which has 50 sheets…way more than I’ll need personally, but if this area gets to the desperate state that New York is in, I plan to make a bunch for the local healthcare workers. (Don’t expect it to…Houston is a very spaced city…everyone drives, very few people take public transportation except inside the city limits, and not at all now that everything downtown is locked down.)

They have smaller packages for less money, and even the thin 4 mil will work. Just get something that is clear and 12" x 12".

2 Likes

Perfect…thank you.

1 Like

Thank you! I ordered that and hats to make and donate!

1 Like

Awesome! What area are you located in?

1 Like

Roughly 3mm. The thicker acrylic was more brittle. But that may have been specific to the acrylic I had, most of which was donated.

1 Like

This is a great idea, but maybe paired with some sort of clip like @eflyguy mentioned (although I think the gaps on his are a problem). You want to be able to wash/sterilize the cap.

1 Like

I’m in Kokomo, IN - almost an hr north of Indianapolis. You?

I’m also sewing some masks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Houston area. :slightly_smiling_face:

He said he used full speed and 25 for power. The DXF he he converted to SVG is in the links as well, I overlooked it at first. just make sure the hole pattern for cutting out the acetate is the same as the peg pattern in the 3D printed head band. one of the most comfortable face shields I’ve ever worn.

2 Likes

Excellent point… you can easily pop the two staples out, wash it, and restaple. The one showing there has about four staple runs on it, none of them tore the mylar when the staples were removed. It’s pretty tough, even at 4 mil thickness. Or just stick it under a UV light to sterilize.

I feel good, I just managed to convince hubs to carry the prototype down to the warehouse to see if the guys there want one made up for them. They have been grumbling about feeling unprotected lately, despite the distance warnings we’ve got posted all over the place in two languages. (Like user manuals, nobody bothers to read them. They just hop right on in through the loading docks.) :roll_eyes:

Anyway, even if one of the drivers coughs directly in their faces, this would stop it cold. Even if it looks a little dorky. Hopefully they’ll go for it.

4 Likes