Making masks and face shields for healthcare workers

Me too. I work in internal medicine and currently in our drive thru screening.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a home health nurse, usually office staff, but have been having to see patients for the last few weeks.

2 Likes

Canā€™t speak nationally, but we have been specifically asked to make the face shields as well as the masks by a local hospital.

1 Like

It should go without saying that cutting ANY vinyl in a laser is of course a strong no unless you want damaged lungs and machine.

1 Like

this is the one Iā€™ve decided to start 3D printing and laser cutting, after making one and getting my own feedback from local medical professionals as well. links are in the video description
also Iā€™ve been using my Cricut vinyl cutter to cut out fabric templates and sew them together. pattern is from here: https://freesewing.org/docs/patterns/fu/instructions/

2 Likes

I would love to be able to make one of those shieldsā€”itā€™s a great design. I wish they had a version for resin printers with small build plates like my Elegoo Mars. What we need is for someone with the 3D design chops to come up with a modular design that would snap together. Kind of like the 3D printable sunglasses.

1 Like

what is your build size?

Build Volume: 4.7" x 2.6" x 6.1" (120 x 68 x 155mm)

1 Like

Weā€™re working with a design for CNC and Laser as well. Still a bit of testing, but you can wing it. Iā€™ve cut a few out of acrylic on the GF:

The files are midway down the page (i.e., not the PRUSA files).

3 Likes

Oh hey, thatā€™s great! Now Iā€™m thinking the one linked by @hansena could be done that way as well. If out of acrylic, Iā€™m assuming one could anneal in the oven at 180F for an hour per 1/4ā€ thickness to reduce the brittleness.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve basically used that design, but close the holes. The feedback we got from the medical folks weā€™re working with is that the holes arenā€™t necessary and potentially let fluids in.

1 Like

What thickness of acrylic are you using?

1 Like

Itā€™s great that these opportunities to help exist and are being shared. However, since the pandemic, the Internet and this community are all global , Iā€™d suggest pointing out any geographic limitations when you post. Most sites (Project Open Air for example) do not make it easy to determine who should sign up. Iā€™ve wasted hours of my time, and more importantly that of people processing and responding, by signing up on sites that donā€™t put the area they serve up front. Clearly describing who can participate based on geography will make these efforts more efficient.

1 Like

I ordered a 100 pack of transparency film, thereā€™s a link in the video I sent. itā€™s lighter weight and easier to work with than the 1/8" acrylic. much cheaper too! Iā€™m trying to get the guy in the video to share the settings he used on his Glowforge for the film, and the template.

1 Like

I was talking about the headband part. I already have transparency film. @ChristyM mentioned laser cutting acrylic to make the headband.

oh sorry! my bad, too much multi tasking! 3D printing bands, laser cutting shields, CNC cut the mask templates, sew them together, answer work e-mails, then start all over again!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi We are using overhead projector sheets, the Prusa 3D print & a tourniquet band for the back. Our hospital said this morning they will take everything we make.

My idea for a simple total protection emergency face shield.

12" x 12" sheet of clear mylar.
Baseball cap.
Staplegun.

Staple the sheet to the inside of the headband at the back. Turn cap around. Put it on your head. If you want to get fancy, cover the staple edges with Gorilla tape so you donā€™t scratch yourself.
(No, itā€™s not FDA approved, but it does stop splashes and slows down face touching, and is surprisingly comfortable to wear. If your area is desperate for them, they take literally less than a minute to make. And everyone has probably got an old baseball cap lying around.)

Hereā€™s the trick, put it on the sick people before they go into the hospital. Will slow down the spread, reduce the danger to the healthcare workers and other patients. If you cough, it blocks the spread into the air. Let the healthcare workers use the limited supplies of the real thing until the supply catches up to the demand.

Iā€™d wear one of these and feel much safer. If I had to use public transportation, Iā€™d definitely whip one of these up. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

I think this is an amazing idea. Very DYIā€™ish!

1 Like

Thank you! Iā€™ve been afraid to show it because the 3D printed ones are much cooler looking, but not everyone has a 3D printer. You can get 50 mylar sheets for about $15. And they wrap around the face very nicely.

Really much more comfortable than the band around the forehead too. I have a few of those made with foam bands and they tend to slip.

2 Likes