Mango wood coasters

Found a set of four mango wood coasters and did this for my friend. He was single when we met, found his bride, had a baby, and I’m the godmother (makes me lol to see my polar bear pop out ‘hey guys’)

57 Likes

Those are adorable!

5 Likes

Agreed, simply adorable. The images look great on the mango wood. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Absolutely adorable!! I have never heard of mango wood.

3 Likes

Beary Nice!

5 Likes

I hadn’t considered using it, our neighbors from our last house have an absolutely massive mango tree, so they had it trimmed down while were still living next to them. Had I only thought to make something from that wood :confounded:

As for the post, incredible results, and beautiful artwork!

4 Likes

I have heard that https://honoluluwoodturners.org/ is in the know of tree trimming of cool woods, i have some ironwood in the backyard and some mango if you want some. I am aging it out there, or baiting termites, one or the other.

My bandsaw doesn’t have a fence, and my diy fence was junk, so I need to up my education or get a fence to use the pile of wood.

3 Likes

What an adorable set of graphics for the engraving. Nice gift.

1 Like

Looks like you photobombed them😁

1 Like

Very well executed! Very funny! Pretty, wood too.

1 Like

Adorable coasters

1 Like

Beautiful coasters , but I would keep in mind that some people are violently allergic to mango wood, to the point that walking under a tree can cause them to break out in hives. So if you sand and polish the faces and use some sort of sealant they would be safe around anyone. (I figure that if you had the allergy you would know by now)

1 Like

I researched that ahead of time since I’ve got family members with allergies. I’ve worked with wood before (manually carving and pyrography) but had never encountered mango, so I looked it up just in case. One is my sisters got me chunk of giant sequoia once that I had to leave alone :frowning:

2 Likes

Interesting as my parents had a lot of redwood outdoor furniture that I doubt you could buy today, but stood out against rot very well, but the amount cut every year is way down. I don’t know the relationship to sequoia specifically, though both are very nasty to critters that try to eat them. Mangos are very extreme in allergy as I never heard of people only slightly allergic to it.

With lasers you will probably want to stick with hardwood (dicots) as beyond cedars (and manufactured bamboo) I have not seen good results with that side of the plant divide,

can you please tell which settings you used on mango wood. i have a pro and would like to engrave on mango cutting board. tks!!

Sure thing. I have a Plus. I used:
Speed: 980
Power: Full
Grayscale: convert to dots
LPI: 225
One pass.
-Jo

1 Like

Tks alot

FYI, any personalized settings must be kept in the Beyond the Manual section (per the friendly neighborhood lawyers aka: FNL) - so I’ve moved your post.
If you’d rather keep the post in MOAG you can move your answer to BtM and then link it here :slight_smile: