Map Coasters

I made these coasters as a thank you gift to a friend with maps of towns they have lived in over the years. I used walnut plywood on the bottom and cut the maps out of maple plywood stuck on top. They are finished with Rubio Monocoat and I sealed the cutout sections of the map with Honey Bee’s Natural Woodcream. The holder is layers of plywood on a walnut base.

62 Likes

Super cool!

4 Likes

Custom maps are always a memorable gift. Congratulations @awebs76 , they turned out amazing!

3 Likes

Wow,. Love these!
Great gift idea!

4 Likes

Lovely gift. I especially like how much attention you paid to finishing them with the Rubio Monocoat and Woodcream. These can be used and treasured for years to come.

3 Likes

What a very thoughtful gift! I think your friends will be thrilled with them! I wonder (not knowing how to do it yet), could you make the sides of the holder using a living hinge instead of having to glue layers together? Just a thought.

2 Likes

Nice work! I love layered hardwood; it lets you make cool shapes and is sturdy and beautiful. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

These looks great! They will love them!

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I was going for especially as they have lived in many different countries!

Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you, I really hope they will last and stand up to condensation they might see from nice cold beverages!

1 Like

Yes this is a good call, it would have been way easier to make (especially as I don’t have any clamps yet) and quicker but would look really impressive! Definitely something I will try if I make any more.

Thanks @geek2nurse I love the wood grain, the rubio monocoat brings it out in such a lovely way!

1 Like

Thank you - I can report that they did hit the mark. I hope they will be reminded of their good deed every time they see/use them.

1 Like

Very thoughtful project and gift. It’s so fun to gift such personalized items.

2 Likes

So true! I have so many more gift ideas now, birthdays and holidays sorted!

1 Like

Really nice!

2 Likes

What an amazing, beautiful, thoughtful gift!

3 Likes

Wow! These are truly gorgeous. Great work! (I’ve never heard of Rubio Monocoat and Woodcream - I have some research to do!) :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes