Map-engraved / heart-inlaid coasters

Adding to the list of folks using the incredible https://openstreetmap.org to create neat stuff. It took a bit to figure out a process I liked; hopefully this writeup will be useful to others: Map-engraved / heart-inlaid coasters – Shutdown Hook

49 Likes

what a great idea.

6 Likes

what an amazing idea. I would love to learn more how to do this? is there any research or info where i can learn to do this/ thanks

3 Likes

Click the two links in the original post for more info.

5 Likes

Hey Melissa — the second link in the post has step-by-step directions for using Inkscape to create the Glowforge files. I’d be happy to answer questions if you have any issues with it, I’m no expert but have gotten a ton of help from folks here so happy to return the favor! —S

5 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous. Great job!Great instructions…on my list now… :smile:

4 Likes

The epoxy makes these look so much better than even finished wood. Yet another craft I need to pick up some day, or hope my wife does for me. Great job!

5 Likes

Thanks you very much for the tutorial, well done. I am going to give it a try. I am always being inspired by the members of this forum.

4 Likes

Always interesting to see a mix of known become something new.
Great coaster concept.

4 Likes

Such a great idea and it looks wonderful. :heartpulse:

4 Likes

This tells a lovely story. You do nice work. (This is a huge, understated compliment, btw.)

3 Likes

Very nicely finished!

1 Like

Very nice. Thanks for the write up. Gave me some more ideas to never get to. :joy:

3 Likes

What a wonderful way to do a map!

2 Likes

When I have used my Glowforge to cut cork in the past, I end up with burned edges that rub off black in your hands. Do you have this problem? I could use any tips. Thanks, in advance.

1 Like

I am not the original poster, but when I cut cork, I simply wash it in water to remove any char. Cork absorbs heat, so it isn’t always the best material to cut with a laser.

3 Likes

Between the addition of the heart and then the finish … this is just so lovely!! Thank you for sharing your write-up.

2 Likes

At speed 400 / power 100% I don’t get much char on the cork, and a damp cloth or baby wipe gets rid of any that is there. The adhesive sheets I use are a relatively dense cork too, that might also make a difference. —S

2 Likes

Finally put together a simple but nice holder for these coasters! The dowels were purchased and the cuts were super-easy — two pieces of 1/4" maple-veneer MDF with overlapping holes for the uprights, dowels glued into place, 2mm adhesive cork on the bottom and a couple light coats of satin poly — not bad!

6 Likes