Mapbox information

Good afternoon everyone. I am going to be getting my GF soon and I have seen all these maps that are being cut using Mapbox. But I am not fully understanding how Mapbox works. Is there anyone who could give me a crash course or information on this? I would love to make some map cutouts as gifts for friends and family. I really appreciate any help that can be provided.

I’ve never used mapbox,but it’s a really powerful system for making custom maps. There’s not a simple way to sum it up, their website and blog show you what it can do and how much it costs.

Maybe the way to start thinking about this is to describe what you’re trying to do, and solicit solutions? It may be that mapbox is overkill if your mapping needs aren’t so custom.

This isn’t exactly what you’re asking, but has relevant info:

1 Like

I guess what I am looking at doing is creating the layered maps that I see. They look really cool and I would love to make one. Much like the attached image. I was just reading somethings about them and it seemed like they were done with Mapbox. I could be wrong. But any insight on how to do it or where to get started would be awesome.

3 Likes

Yes I was reading through this and trying to see if anyone had more relevant information on how to use Mapbox. Which is seems like this gentleman was using to create his images. I think it looks amazing and wanted to try my hand at it, just not sure where to start.

Well, that bottom piece is mine, but the other 2 are not. Honestly, I began by tinkering around using mapbox and tried to figure it out. Learn how to hide the layers and only show what you want to cut, like roads. Export to PNG and then import to your design software. Image trace to get vector, and you’re ready to cut. Mapbox requires a subscription if you want to save and export your work per each email address, but does allow you to play around for free with like 5 free exports.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to copy your design. It was my best example. It’s amazing. I just wasn’t sure how to do something like that and I really want to learn.

1 Like

My method isn’t a secret, and will try and help you as I can. Just start playing with the software and see what you can come up with.

2 Likes

I saw a lady on you tube do something like this on a different cut program then send it to her glowforge .
We where on you tube when we searched for glowforge

1 Like
  1. learn how to use the software.
  2. export the data you need.
  3. use the design app of your choice to translate each feature from the data into the layers as needed.
  4. print each layer of material as desired, color/stain if necessary.
  5. glue them together.

Layered designs like this (popular with Mandalas and other line-based art) take considerable skill and time to create, both in design and assembly. I would estimate dozens of hours of design work alone to produce something like the piece @pubultrastar created.

2 Likes

Are you thinking of @Whengeekscraft

Here is one of her posts where she describes her process. There have been a couple other creations from her recently as well, and they are all breathtaking.

3 Likes

I really appreciate that. I am messing around with Mapbox now. I am trying to create one of these as a present for my in-laws. I hope I can figure this out. I know you gave abridged versions of what you did.

1 Like

Those are amazing, but different from what I am trying to do. I appreciate the support though.

2 Likes

Oh hey that’s me! Thanks!

3 Likes

Here is the one I was talking about
Lady Crockett Crafts explores crafting techniques and creates tutorials utilizing the Glowforge laser printer and Silhouette Studio Business Edition design s…

1 Like

Lady Crockett Crafts explores crafting techniques and creates tutorials utilizing the Glowforge laser printer and Silhouette Studio Business Edition design s…

Welcome @amandalobato10 to the Glowforge Community. Mapmaking is also one of the reasons I originally bought my GF.

I found Mapbox daunting and an overkill for what I needed.

I made my first maps using Snazzymaps.com which I found simple and adecuate for my project LifeMap.
I am sure you can also manipulate the information from Snazzymaps to achieve what you intend to create. Be sure to post and document if you do.
We all like to learn from each other.

3 Likes

I took a very different tack by going to https://terrain.party/ and getting land elevations. It works a lot better when there are elevations but here is Tampa Bay.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.