Marble, Ceramic and Bamboo engravings

My cousin was visiting this weekend, and we spent some time testing various engraving materials. He put his family crest on some bamboo cutting boards:

We also put it on some ceramic coasters. We added some metallic silver acrylic paint.

I had a few old marble floor tiles I used for testing some marble settings. I plan to move these patterns to some marble coasters once I figure out the right settings, and best painting method.

45 Likes

Cool stuff! The engraved and filled marble is especially nice.

1 Like

Yeah I’m liking the filled look too! :grinning:

1 Like

I’d love to work out a method of gilding the engraved lines, then burnishing them.
Would look stunning.

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Really nice! How’d you do the fills? Enquiring minds…

2 Likes

Looks good right now

I’d like to say there’s a big secret to it, but I literally just painted it with acrylic paint, and I wiped off the excess before it could dry.

The surfaces were well polished before I started, so any misses wiped off fairly easily. Two coats gave them a pretty good fill.

2 Likes

There is the original method using gold and mercury. Very problematic to control and scrub the vapors but there is nothing that comes close to looking like the original.

1 Like

I wish you hadn’t mentioned gold amalgam. It will really freak out the ‘Health & Safety’ people !
I’ve never knowingly seen fire gilded mirrors, but I know they were held in high esteem.
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I learned of it from a lecture and book by an enamellist who had been researching the Medieval French Techniques and had a closed system just about the lead fumes as the enamels are very high in Lead so it could handle Mercury as well. I don’t know about mirror silvering but the gold left a kind of sputtered surface that was amazing and worked ay low enough temperatures that they could guild wood and even leaves (I don’t know about Lillies but it would be a show about control and technique and not decoration of lilies?)

Notice: attempting to use either Lead or Mercury without Professional sealed recycling systems can cause brain damage leaving folks from mad as a hatter, to dead.

2 Likes