Mario Kart board game

Finished this one a few days ago but just now getting to getting it posted. Munchkin asked me to use my laser machine (I love when he gives me assignments) to make a Mario Kart style board game. Wanting to keep it small, I used round tokens instead of bigger cars to give it the “mini-map in the corner” feel, while still conveying a little bit of “Rainbow Road.” Roll the die and move to the next space of that kind (as simple as Candy Land), BUT he’s in the process of learning sight words, and he has a new list of 10 each week, so we incorporate the current list as flashcards and as he gets them correct, he gets speed boosts to move further ahead or traps to move opponents further back. So far, for the twice that we’ve played, he was totally stoked about it.

Thanks for stopping and taking a look, and until next creation, Happy Forging!

71 Likes

This looks fantastic!

4 Likes

You are a fun and talented parent!

5 Likes

This looks incredible! Great job! I bet he will love playing it with you.

4 Likes

This is brilliant! I love your idea for speed boosts, learning is fun!

4 Likes

This is awesome

2 Likes

A wonderful idea and a great result.

1 Like

That is so awesome! Love the colors, they’re spot on!

2 Likes

That is really amazing. I bought a set of alcohol-ink markers based on similar creations folks had shared here, but my skills are sadly lacking. I really wanted to make a “very famous” version of monopoly for my nieces but had to accept my deficiencies.

I follow a number of great makers on Instagram. You should be there.

2 Likes

It’s so cute!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I love that you mixed the game with homework time! This is incredibly cute, and well done as well. What did you use to colorize it? Really clean job.

3 Likes

I love that your son asks you to make things on your GF! And to use it to help him learn is really great. It not only would work for sight words, but math or any other subject. Applies to all schooling - get it right and you move on. Good for you both! And the design is so super cool!!

4 Likes

Colors look fantastic! Luv it.

2 Likes

That’s amazing!! My son would love something like that

2 Likes

will you be selling the file?

1 Like

I’m constantly floored by your great layered designs, now it seems you are an expert game designer as well. That game definitely looks marketable!

1 Like

Nice way to integrate fun with learning. Good job. If you came up with an original (non-trademarked/copyrighted) game, this would probably sell extremely well on Etsy or such.

1 Like

Wow, this is really awesome! Great way to work on the sight words.

My grandson does his virtual classes for 2nd grade here … anything and everything to inspire children to learn.

1 Like

This is amazing! My grandson would absolutely love this! If you ever sell these finished or sell the file, I will hand you all my money.

1 Like