Masking and Engraving Pine Planks...Anyone done this?

I want to burn/engrave on Pine planks but I haven’t a clue on what settings to use or how to determine this, I have only ever used Approved materials and the settings that the machine just choses. I’m assuming when you use a non-glowforge material that you have to chose the settings? Also I know you have to mask it, where do you get this masking material, brand, what is is it called??

Thanks

2 Likes

You can use the PG settings on non PG wood, but if there isn’t an equivalent (like PG cherry and non-PG cherry) you’re going to want to do some testing before you dive into a full project. Luckily there are quick and easy tests that folks have created to do just that!

Start here (number 2 and number 6 are of particular interest to you):

3 Likes

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Testing is your friend in this case, but don’t sweat it – engrave and score operations into solid wood are incredibly tolerant across a wide range of power/speed combinations (cutting is a whole other matter). I always start with the settings for Medium Maple Plywood and go from there. Unless you are trying to accomplish a specific depth engrave for inlays, it’s pretty hard to mess up.

5 Likes

ok I’ll start there thanks. I wouldn’t even know what setting to start with other then 1 and try like every number lol, so at least this gives me a starting point thanks.

1 Like