Masking tape dispenser

My husband, Jon, figured that we’ll be using masking tape a lot now that Festus is here ($10 4’x8’ sheets of Home Depot plywood work well), so he designed this masking tape dispenser. It’s 6" wide and will hold multiple rolls.!

UPDATE: He posted it on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2790956IMG_7003|375x500

56 Likes

Very nice, made on :glowforge:?

1 Like

Oh wow, that is wonderful! I find dispensing masking from this 18" roll of mine a real pain. I could use one of these.

3 Likes

Gosh that’s a good one.

I’ll get him to put the design together for sharing.

2 Likes

I started to design one, but yah I’d print that one!
Thingiverse is a good repository for sharing designs with others.

2 Likes

That’s great - your husband has a talent for the designing! I just bought a roll of masking and something like this would be fantastic to have.

1 Like

Really digging the hacksaw blade cutter. :wink:

2 Likes

Ooh, I was trying to figure out what that was! This a really great design.

1 Like

Posted on Thingiverse…see updated original post for link.

1 Like

Oh thank you!

1 Like

Where did you get an 18" roll of masking tape? I’m looking for the best deal. I found 3"-wide, 60-yard rolls at tapeplanet.com.

Thanks for posting it. The 3d design translated perfect into F360.

1 Like

try signwarehouse.com or uscutter.com, look for transfer tape or application tape, and avoid the clear ones; the clear transfer tapes almost all are pvc-based.
I personally like TransferRite 592U (hi-tack, on the red inner roll) for masking my own unfinished wood, and 582U(med tack, yellow inner roll) for masking aluminum, acrylic, and polyester wrap films.

1 Like

Yup. Ran out while converting Rockler BB to GoofGrade. Another 100’ roll on its way!

Oh, that would come in handy! :grinning:

1 Like

I just ordered the 582U out of people’s recommendations, and i was thinking of designing a tape dispenser (for 18") too, now I guess I wont have to start from scratch!

Thanks OP for sharing!

1 Like

Okay, I took this design into Inkscape and expanded it to 12" wide, then fiddled with it to panelize onto two 12" x 16" pieces of that 5mm plywood. Still has the same caveats as the original - fits only one way, not symmetric. There are some notes on one layer that will guide you. I set it up so you can save with all layers visible, load once into GF and ignore/cut different items for multiple cycles. It has Snapmarks to help align. Only item I am uncertain about is the little end-caps for the PVC spindle. I’ll try gluing them, but not sure about adhesion of wood to PVC. Might be better with PVC caps, so I’ll cut my pipe long to keep that option.Tape Dispenser 12inch.zip (15.4 KB)

10 Likes