Material Manager Refresh

Over the past several weeks I’ve had some extra free time and was getting quite tired of the old material manager so I spent some of my spare time doing complete UI overhaul. Plus, I added a few cool features.

Notable Features:

• Set Material from Plugin
  • Material Search
  • Input Validation
  • Cloud Sync Controls
  • Backups
  • More Help Text

And lastly…

Custom QR Code Detection

UI Tour

Set Material

Install Here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/glowforge-material-manage/adabmafjmdcjnihkmggljljeopjfghii

25 Likes

Absolutely great news! Apreciate your work! Thanks a lot! Will try it out as soon as I can.

This is very cool. One of the first things I thought after getting my GF and making my first cuts on PG material was, “I bet someone out there has figured out a way to make their own QR codes for non-PG material.”
Nicely done!

It was surprisingly easy, once I had the capability to inject materials. However, surprisingly difficult as chrome extensions are the worst. I was thinking about this last night, it probably would have been easier for me to create a Electron based Desktop app than to create a chrome extension.

I’m working on creating stamps for my home usage, that seems like the best way to add a QR Code to any masked material. In the meantime, I’ve just glued printed paper squares to a pieces of thick card stock and it works pretty well.

2 Likes

I printed the QR Code and placed it in the Glowforge. However the Glowforge does not recognize the Code. If I place a Glowforge QR Code it recognizes the Code.
I also tried scanning the QR code with a smartphone. The Glowforge QR scanned, but the Material Manager QR did not.
Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks

It’s definitely not anything you did. QR Code scanners, especially the ones I’ve found for JS have all been terrible. I thought that I had it working well enough, it appears not.

If possible could you provide the location in your GF you place the QR Code, Top-Left, Top-Center, Top-Right, etc, and the approximate size of the QR Code? I will take a look at it tomorrow, I think that I’ve found a QR Code scanner that will work better. I really don’t want to write my own from scratch.

Tips:

• Make sure the QR Code lays fairly flat
  • Make sure that it’s mostly square with the machine
  • Make sure you use the first QR code link (without settings)
  • Make sure that material still exists in the Material Manager
  • Make sure its approximately the 1.5" square
1 Like

I updated the library that I was using and it seems to be performing better. If you restart chrome it should be more accurate.

To verify the plugin version browse to: chrome://extensions and verify that the extension is at least 0.4.10

I tried placing the QR at various places in the Glowforge (Top Right, Center Lower Left etc.)
I Tried different sizes from 1/4 square to 6 inch square.
The QR was square with the machine.
I used the QR without settings.
I tried different materials that were in the Material Manager.

It may be a little more convenient if the QR Code was saved to disc in PDF format instead of SVG.

Thanks

Jim

That did the trick. The Glowforge is reading the QR Codes fine now.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.