Material Sizing

Preparing materials. It seems that most online materials are in increments of 12 inches (12 x 24). I was just about to trim a bunch of wood that I ordered @ http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com to 20". I didn’t want to have to run out to the garage and pull out the portable table saw when I needed to fit a piece into the Glowforge. Then I thought about potential waste by limiting the cut offs to 4". Luckily, before I cut them I remembered this. Although not recommended, the lower front door can be temporarily over-ridden. If I have a cut laid out to be 12" by 6", I can draw a line on the masking material and insert the material (with the rest of the board protruding out the front door) to cut a piece the size that I need for this project. Then the remainder would be a single 12" x 18" piece and not 1 piece of 12" x 14" and 1 piece of 12" x 4" that I would have had if I pre-cut the longer material to fit. Also don’t have to run out to the garage. I think I’ve mentioned that I’m a material hoarder. The bigger the scrap, the better. Although I’ll probably save a 12" x 1/2" scrap, because you never know. . . .

9 Likes

Three very important words if you do this — “Laser Safety Glasses” :sunglasses:

10 Likes

2 pair to be delivered by Amazon tomorrow. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

So if you were dedicated to Shaking Hands With Danger, you could do 20x24?

4 Likes

Any favorites sticking out? So many choices…

1 Like