Materials and suppliers

Thanks, I finally requested mine.

I just got the exact same sample packet

1 Like

Scored at thrift shop - I walked over to a customer’s office today to deliver some heat transfers I had printed for them. On the walk back, I stuck my head in a thrift shop that occasionally has interesting looking furniture. I found one interesting thing and that led me into another room at I had never been in before. I found these “bubble glass” things that appear to be acrylic and a partial sample box of Staron solid surface material.

I just checked the MSDS. I’m new to lasering so I’d appreciate any insight into how safe these are. The ingredients are Hydrated Alumina, Aluminum Hydroxide, and Aluminum Trihydroxide. The only thing that stood out to me in the Hazards Identification section was “At higher temperature, a small amount of methyl methacrylate can be released”.

Do you think these are laserable?

10 Likes

I believe it is similar to Corian, which is a DuPont product that uses aluminum dust and binder. Says it’s an acrylic. It seems to be used by those with lasers for mementos and plaques. Corian works. Looks like a good find.

7 Likes

Ditto!

just found out that my brother has a 40 gallon barrel over flowing with 1/4 ash that he said he wasn’t sure what he was going to do with it. so I looked at it and said … I can laser that and its chinchilla safe so he said its all mine :slight_smile: he also told me that at his shop they used poplar as a base for some of the things they make and at any given time they have close to 1000 board foot that is just scrap not big enough for them to do anything with so I said herm… that’s chinchilla safe as well so plane that down 1/4. man I am so excited just need some laser

23 Likes

Chinchilla safe?? Never heard that before.
Sounds like you have plenty of poplar and ash though. That should keep you busy for a while.

2 Likes

so the chin’s will eat wood as teeth grow non stop they need something to chew wood, stone etc… some woods are toxic others are safe.

8 Likes

I’ll bet they’re cute little buggers. Is there a kitten season for chinchillas like there is with cats?

2 Likes

season ?

1 Like

I think he’s refering to them having kits (baby chinchillas). :smile_cat:

1 Like

I guess that answers my question, hahaha! :smile:

Yep, that’s what I meant! (I’m a “she” by the way.)

4 Likes

ya so I have 4 girls and 1 male, and well he does not get to play with the girls. but I think they are ready to go at any given time. plenty of unwanted chins around to adopt no need to breed

1 Like

Oh! I was thinking that might be the case with indoor animals. I follow a lot of rescue kitten livestreams; they are rescuing ferals and strays, and their season is spring & summer (because of the temperatures).

Sorry about the hijack! Back to materials & suppliers…

flipping the coin, thinking I may go to my brothers and dress all the ash on hand he has so to get it out of his way so he doesn’t throw it away/burn it well waiting for my Glowforge.

may have to get a caliper to make sure its dead nuts 1/4 so that my hooks and slots will fit

2 Likes

number brother said eh with the laser delivery being so unpredictable rather to leave it rough so that any swelling or Curley between now and next year can just be plaines or fixed before use rather then doing it now and possibly having bad wood later

2 Likes

Got mine today! 5 day turnaround. These guys mean business.

1 Like

Tandy Leather once again has the 10lb box of scrap veg leather marked down to $9.99:

http://www.tandyleatheroutlet.com/p-380-black-veg-remnants-10-lb-box.aspx

10 Likes

Wishing I hadn’t had 6 months of unemployment and thus debt attacking up.

1 Like