Materials and suppliers

I’m looking for 1/32" (0.03") cast acrylic sheets in any color, but clear. I’ve not found it online anywhere. Maybe someone here knows of a source??? Thanks for any leads!

1 Like

Johnson Plastics Plus Lucent materials are close, but are .02" https://www.jpplus.com/rowmark-lucent-translucent-blue-025-engraving-plastic-19597

1 Like

Hmmm, cool looking material. Their website indicates it is 0.025" which may be close enough. Thanks!

1 Like

Which site is this one from?

I use the same supplier for my products in my shop! Love the double acrylic from them and their wood prices aren’t too shabby. Also try canal plastics for all other acrylics they have INSANELY cheap prices compared to inventables however they do not sell double sided acrylics. But their other options are PRIMO!

i Ordered these bamboo kitchen utensils from amazon and I tried to engrave a name on the handle and it was really burnt and not clean looking. Any ideas on how to make it look better?

Welcome! Bamboo is notorious for delivering inconsistant results. It’s a ‘grass’ and has many variations and layers. Without being able to see your engraving, all I can really suggest is that you use the utensil that didn’t turn out well to test your settings before committing to a new piece. Good luck.

3 Likes

Ok i will try that thank you very much!

1 Like

Still have no luck with the bamboo would putting a layer of masking tape on it before I engrave on the bamboo utensil help?

You really should be having this discussion in a bamboo-related thread, not a 5-yr-old general materials and supplies thread.

There are literally dozens of existing discussions on bamboo.

2 Likes

Bamboo burns pretty black, but it wouldn’t hurt to try. If it seems to be cutting too deeply with the engrave, try speeding it up or lowering the LPI value.

2 Likes

ok thanks

Thanks for your opinion but ill do what i want buddy

If you could share a photo of your “burnt” example. It could very well be a focus problem or a settings problem. What were your settings.

I think the settings on that were somewhere around 400 speed and 80 power and 225 Lines per Inch

That looks like the lens is upside down, or the focus is WAY off.

3 Likes

Really, How do you fix it .

Have you cleaned the lens recently? Sometimes the lens in the head gets installed incorrectly and can cause this.

Use the lens tool that came with the machine to remove the lens in the head (if you don’t know how to do this, you probably have never taken it out so it should be in correctly.)

The arrow on the lens should point up.

wow, can you do a test quick engrave on some draft board? If that’s right, then this would be some weird high focus setting, vs. if that doesn’t work I’d assume something is off (dirty lens, lens knocked out of place…)

I would be interested to know why you chose those settings. Seems to me the speed is way too slow, but as others said you might have your lens upside down or your focus is way off. Did you use the set focus tool?