Materials and suppliers

2 Likes

Do you mean you want to put your company logo on one of the pieces? That does not require photo shop skills (well I donā€™t know what your corporate logo is, I guess if it is some crazy photo then you might. To add artwork to ANY GF job you need your logo in a format that is consumable by the GFUI (most logos are vector of some kind) so you can render that out (or have your graphics guy do it for you) in PNG format, then when you are in the GFUI select the add-artwork function and select your logo file, scale to the appropriate size and give it a rip. Settings of course may require trial and error depending on the logo. Most logos being simple black & white are pretty easy to get working right.

1 Like

Just for expediency I am showing the VA (Veteranā€™s Administration) logo on top of the Gift-Of-Good-Measure from the catalog (which will all have). Obviously itā€™s a terrible use of the logo since I simply scaled it and slapped it on top (sorry Iā€™m at work so very far from my GF). But I simply pressed the + add artwork button (I already had the VA logo on my machine as a PNG from presentations - I sued to be a VA doc), and then scaled it, and moved it on top. I would then set the settings. Of course with Proofgrade that would be auto-engraved, but being that my GF has a big ol slab of slate on the bed right now, itā€™s not set for that.

1 Like

Oh, and you likely want better quality than my screen resolution from a powerpoint slide graphic. You can see the jaggiesā€¦

@mannlumber do you have a website? Etsy page? Can I get some contact info please?

@ChristyM where do you all buy this favorite at these days?

2 Likes

No i donā€™t have an Etsy page, but you can dm me here

When Iā€™m lazy, I buy on Amazon. :slight_smile:

I have a ply place not too far, but then I need to cut it down. Looking at a few other places that may be willing to cut it for me.

Are there any conventions coming upon this side of the world that anyone knows of? I am in Nashville YeeHawā€¦anything interesting? I seen everyone speaking of a meet upā€¦I guess thatā€™s flattened? Or maybe not??

I mean a template commissioned by us - NOT an existing one from Glowforge. Iā€™m just not good at Adobe Illustrator at all :frowning:

Do you have a picture of what youā€™re looking to do? Is it combining a couple of vector files or creating something to insert into your original file?

This is not an appropriate discussion for an existing thread on materials. If you need help with a design, you should start your own thread, in the Everything Else sub-forum.

2 Likes

To try to get things back on topic:

Iā€™ve been a customer and fan of Piedmont Plastics https://www.piedmontplastics.com/ for years. They have an immense stock of 4x8 sheets of nearly any plastic (e/g/ cast acrylic for laser engraving/cutting), and can cut to order. One sheet cuts into 16 12x20 (nominal) sheets, and the per-sheet price is awesomely low. About the only drawback is that you have to buy a full 4x8 sheet, so you end up with a lot of material. Thatā€™s not a problem for me. I think I posted about them ages ago, but I just picked up another batch yesterday. They are a national chain, with about a dozen warehouses in major cities, so local pickup is an option - shipping can get expensive, of course, so best to avoid that. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll second the ā€œBaltic Birch from Amazonā€ posts - Prime free shipping means that it shows up fast and for a low per-sheet price. So I usually do that for small sheets. For larger/thicker plywood, I use a local ā€˜professionalā€™ wood supplier that sells full sheets, which I ā€˜ripā€™ myself down to where itā€™ll fit into the GlowForge or CNC router. Itā€™s worlds cheaper doing that than buying smaller cut pieces. The only drawback there is that I canā€™t fit 4x8 sheets in my car, so I have to have them delivered, which means ordering a big batch of wood so the delivery charge divides out. And to state the perhaps-obvious, avoid the big chain stores (Lowest, Home Depot, etc.) as their wood quality is terrible. Everywhere Iā€™ve lived, if you ask around, you can find a local business with good wood. Buying wood is a lot more complex than buying plastic, since every piece is unique, so you want to find a place where you can go pick out specific pieces of wood to buy. Good places will cut to order, for a charge.

4 Likes

You heretical freak! That is not how these forums workā€¦

7 Likes

Hey guys has anyone ever heard of
https://www.harborsales.net

I am going to try some of theirā€¦

60" x 60" x 3mm (1/8") BB/BB Grade
Multi-Ply Baltic Birch Plywood
SKU: 60603MBBB

The pricing looked good. if my mathmetician skills are correct. Figured I would try it.

Well that didnā€™t work. Shipping costed $238 for Freight shipping

2 Likes

Yowza!

1 Like

You might want to tryā€¦
Craft Plywood - Small sheets of Baltic Birch Plywood for the Scroll Saw Enthusiast

Ouchie!
Do you have a local lumberyard near you at all?

Mine sells the 5ā€™x5ā€™ sheets for about $11, will cut down to GF size for a couple bucks and will even load the stack into your car for you.

(Conveniently theyā€™re also part hardware/builder store so still fully open at this time. I can call the order in and drive through for pickup minimizing person to person contact. )

3 Likes