Matrix lamp

I keep setting my phone down on top of mine because it’s conveniently located, and every time I think “I should put a wireless charger in there”.

6 Likes

dang, that is a good idea. The 5 volts is right there too…

1 Like

Made this one for the “Love Malibu Style” show that is currently running.

7 Likes

Another winner.

1 Like

I feel the same way about this.
Did you ever attempt it?

I did not…yet

At some point, I’m going to have to delve into this, but I’m not ready. lol
Hmm… maybe eventually I can get my son to help me and get him motivated to glowforge. lol

If you are daunted by the electronics part. There is an fairly easy pathway that requires no soldering or programming. All off the shelf parts with a cost of under $50.

Build the lamp.

Then use the following
LED matrix 8 x 32 = $22
Power supply = $11, you want a 5 volt supply capable of at least 3 amps, 4 is better
LED brain with remote. Simple = $12, or fancy

It all plugs together. power to brain, brain to strip. You will probably want to turn down the brightness as full bright is a lot.

You will need to feed the power input to the brain out from the bottom of the lamp. There are many options on the brain part. Some use IR remotes, some use Bluetooth and your phone, some are sound reactive, some use RF remotes.

7 Likes

Thank you! I have no soldering skills, so this info may get me moving in the right direction.

5 Likes

Well,I don’t know…it’s SO COOL I really want to try it, but sometimes light switches (on/off) are more of an electrical challenge than I can handle.
Ooh, just saw the no soldering post!

2 Likes

And if you don’t mind waiting a while, they’re even cheaper from 16x8 16x16 8x32 8x8 led Pixels WS2812B Panel Digital Flexible SK6812 LED Panel Individually addressable Full Dream Color DC5V|LED Strips| - AliExpress. That’s where I’ve been getting mine.

3 Likes

Come on now! I already have to many projects I am working on!

Stop making me want to do another one!

I have been trying to ignore this thread, but you guys are just making this too easy… I will have to try this. If I find the time…

4 Likes

I finally bought everything I need to learn how to solder. About. three.months.ago.

I’ve still not touched it. I have a YouTube video bookmarked. Have still not touched it.

Don’t seem to have any trouble buying all the stuff to do it right off the bat, but actually doing anything with it…bahhh.
I hate it when I do that.

6 Likes

Likewise. I shop there in bulk for most of my LED and stepper motor needs.

1 Like

story of my life.
I have been trying to use up my massive inventory of fun parts. It has worked, mostly.

2 Likes

I’m the same! When you’re ready to start you need to have everything there… that’s my reasoning anyway!

1 Like

I remember thinking though…if I buy it all now, then for sure I’ll get to it right away. Like I’ll feel guilty and force myself to do it. Wrong. Oh, how wrong I was.

5 Likes

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I know how to solder- (took lessons using both iron and torch) but I don’t like to. Shaky hands and hot stuff= scary.

4 Likes

I understand… :slightly_smiling_face: