Matte black acrylic?

I’m looking for matte black acrylic (or similar to). Does anyone know where I can get it?

search “acrylic source”. Lots of them on here.

Any major supplier will probably have it, like delvies and estreet.

1 Like

thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Matte black acrylic is not particularly common. Inventables has it and it is expensive. I am playing around with Tap Plastics black led acrylic. It is matte, and allows led light through. Kinda interesting.

24 Likes

Oooh - that’s lovely

4 Likes

Ignore the clunky finger joint box. I am just figuring out the light transmission. The leaf is scored and is barely visible without light. The light being used is a cheap led puck light with 20 lumens. This acrylic doesn’t transmit the light the way clear acrylic does, so edge lit stuff doesn’t work. Also, it needs a diffused light as strip leds also don’t work well behind this acrylic.

4 Likes

I may be in the minority, but I like finger joints :slight_smile:

I’m wondering how a frosted full sized light bulb would work, it’d have to be LED to keep the temp down, but especially a 3 stage one could make a neat decorative light

3 Likes

It has to be led or no light shines through.

2 Likes

Then it must be the wavelength of the light. As different LEDs emit different wavelengths, presumably not any LED would work. Maybe the manufacturer has a data sheet that characterizes this.

Tap Plastics.

1 Like

I agree with the others, Inventables has the widest matte selection I’ve seen and Tap has matte in black and white. It’s my favorite material and I buy a lot of it as scrap at Tap for very cheap. If you’re in the west and near Tap it’s worth a look. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t have to be LED. It is designed to diffuse light to mimic the look of LEDs with minimal hot spots. It passes all colors.

As you state, it would be very selective if it only passed one wavelength of light. This seller has a video showing it working with different colors.

2 Likes

Trotec has a similar line of products (TroGlass LED) but no black. This is sort of attractive because of the matte black look that transforms into rich jewel colors when the colored leds shine through. The color is similar to, but richer than, what you see with frosted clear acrylic.

2 Likes

What is Tap? Have you got a link?

https://www.tapplastics.com/

1 Like

Wonderful. Thank you.

My Tap has been woefully lacking in scrap lately and has only had clear and black available for almost two months. (They usually have a lot of variety, not sure what’s changed.) Went in today and was still not much so the wonderful clerk who I’ve spent three years getting to know wouldn’t let me leave until she checked he back room. She came out with all of this. :grinning: Lots of florescent, a BIG piece of my coveted peal and then she asked If I wanted this pretty big sheet of Black LED acrylic. Ummm, ya think!? She cut me a very generous (like, really super generous) deal and now I have to figure out what to do with the cool LED stuff. So I was happy to see someone has played with it beofre and it looks really cool. Have you made anything else with it @dklgood? Any tips is working with it to pass on or is it pretty straight forward?

2 Likes

I got sidetracked and only made a little lantern type thing which I like to watch as the colors change. I found the acrylic to cut/engrave just like all other acrylics. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I am jealous of your proximity to Tap and your relationship with such an attentive clerk.

2 Likes

@ dklgood Thats VERY interesting LED acrylic! I’ve never seen it before. I’m definitely gonna have to try it! Thanks for sharing!