Maximum board size

What is the maximum board size I can keep on glowforge? Not necessarily cut, just keep. I saw there are project panels of 24”x24” size at different stores. I was wondering if I can keep that size board in glowforge. Maybe I can use one side first and then rotate and use the other side for something else?

Do you have a basic or a pro?

Either way, the max width is 20".

You can actually stretch that out to about 21 if you lay it over the edge of the tray, but be very careful because the gantry will catch it if you go too far over and then you have lots of problems.

As for the depth, you can actually extend the material toward the rear of the machine past the cuttable area a fair amount, up to about 18".

So the cuttable area is about 19.5x11", but you could stick a board in there that is about 20x18" if you really had to.

If you have a pro the upper end is really 20" wide with no upper limit on length. I did a 50 foot passthrough project, so…

/uploads/db6859/optimized/3X/4/8/4845e71892e5053ad57a8e0b82f3d8e0548b4549_2_690x229.jpeg

13 Likes

The maximum width of the board that will fit on the grid is 20.5". (The Proofgrade boards are cut a little larger than 20" to allow a full 19.5" cutting area.) The Passthrough on the Pro means you can go any depth…for the Plus and Basic models the limit is 18" that will fit in the case.

2 Likes

WORK AREA

• Maximum material depth: 18" (455 mm) for Basic and Plus; unlimited for Pro
  • Maximum material width: 20″ (515 mm)
  • Cutting area: approx. 11″ (279 mm) deep and 19.5″ (495 mm) wide
  • Maximum material height: 2″ (50mm)
  • Maximum material height with tray: 0.5″ (13mm)
4 Likes

If you have a basic you can use a different saw to take out that 4 " and cut it 18x20 if you wish. A pro will still not cut wider than 20 inches. I have a pro and buy the 12x24 all the time using them end on. Making earsavers I had only a couple of square inches of scrap left at the ends.

2 Likes

Buy the 2x4’ or 4x4’ project panel if you can fit it in your vehicle and cut it down with a circular saw. A battery powered one like this works just fine:

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/18v-one-plus-6-1-2-in-circular-saw

No need to get a Ryobi, there are plenty of small circular saws out there. I have their batteries so it is what I use. If you’re an apartment or condo dweller cut it outside in the common area or over a hard surface floor inside. The saw dust can be swept up if you have to do it inside. There won’t be a lot.

5 Likes

I cut mine in the parking lot at the store before loading it into the car.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.