MDF LED sign base 2.0 wall mounted

I made a micro version of that… :wink:

20 Likes

Brilliant !

2 Likes

Cool!! Where did you source the LEDs and battery bits?

2 Likes

Oh, those were off my shelf (I run a business designing, making and reselling educational technology).

I think you should go on ebay and see what you can get there. It should be really cheap - no more than 1$ for led+battery+holder, even in if you only order a few.

I think my brutto price would be around 0.75$ pr letter? But I buy LED’s and battery in bulk (300+).

Peter.

3 Likes

I believe I will have to get out the electronics kit and start working with LEDs again for practice to get ready for signs like this. I never really had an end product to put together so just kept them on breadboards and had fun with blinking. Something to do in the evenings when I can’t get to my shop. Thanks for sharing all the ideas!

4 Likes

FUN!
What kind of fun can we have with Raspberry Pi and programmable LEDs.

4 Likes

Fantastic! I really love the use of LEDs. Great project and so simple really when you break it down like that. Nice work!

1 Like

There are a few LED topics. I think this is one of the best so I’m giving it some more love. So not ready for prime time but hey, I don’t have a 3D laser printer. Here is the beginning of a Larson Scanner.

I have this glass focuser magnifyier thingy from a laser printer. It might come in handy.

Will need a fancy mount to make it look nice. It’s got potential. Of course it would help if I had all matching LEDs.

Posted a YouTube of it running. A surprise guest makes an appearance.

11 Likes

Haha–I knew it was going to be the cat. Never heard of a Larson scanner so I had to Google it–pretty cool! Now you need an Outer Limits style robot to mount it into.

3 Likes

Ok I had to google it too. Ill post it to save anyone else the trouble.:smirk:
"> The Larson scanner is named after Glen A. Larson, the man responsible for producing both the original Battlestar Galactica and Knight Rider television shows."
Huge fan of both of those shows…mostly the former. Never knew thats what it was called…now just make a cylon head and install it…lol

4 Likes

The laser cutting and engraving group on Facebook isn’t all a Glowforge bashing. Actually it is very good for ideas.
Saw this referenced from a Reddit post. This is very clever. I’ve been working most of this rainy day on Raspberrry pi programing to be ready to do edge kit stuff like this. It’s a “Lixie!”

8 Likes

That is a great idea. Love it!

2 Likes

wow thats a great idea :smiley: bookmarked

2 Likes

Do you happen to have a link to the led, power adapter etc. that you used for this?

You are probably asking @smcgathyfay, but on my LED projects I just get the most basic strip of white LEDs and solder a usb cable to the end. 5 v. needs no power adapter. Wall warts are plentiful. If you aren’t driving addressable RGBs this simple setup works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015R87GQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SK81XM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Thank you for this, so are you saying I can get those 10 pack of usb, cut them in half, solder the wires to the extra cut off areas I have on the leds and make and many as I want? If this is so can I incorporate a 12v power button/switch inbetween the usb wires and the led wires for a cut on and off button?

2 Likes

I will have to look and see what I have but I bought a spool of just plain white LED strip that was like 30 m long or something and I cut them into maybe 10 or 12 inch strips and solder the connection on to it with a USB cable and I use very weak plug adapters that I plug in the USB cable to they won’t power a phone or anything but I think it’s like 1.5 amps Maybe I’ll have to look for sure LEDs take very little power and as long as they’re short it seems to work just fine. I get the plugs in bulk from China from AliExpress I think although any cheap wall plug will work like the ones at the dollar store LOL not good for phones though

This is what I used for the hang box. These attach straight to the strip without soldering.

This the the one I soldered.

All from AliExpress

7 Likes

Very professional looking job. Thanks for sharing. :ok_hand::grin:

2 Likes

Yes. You can incorporate a switch in the mix. These are 5v LEDs so it doesn’t have to be big.

Here is my build when I finally got the pre-release and started making my own. I don’t have details on the soldering, but it shows how I have them set up with all 3D printed bases and 1/3 3D printed and 2/3 laser cut for the base. Just cut the Micro usb end off of the cable and snip the data wires. User the red and the black to the terminals. The LEDs I used could be cut in as small as a 3 LED unit or as long as the whole strand.

Now I am using translucent PLA from MakerGeeks (a Made-in-Missouri product!) and it really is cool to have the different colors shining through the bases.

3 Likes