I’m looking to cut and score some medium density EVA foam

• Oracle Tide 65kg/m3
  • 5mm
  • Grey

I also have some high density EVA foam I might cut and score

• Black Isle 125kg/m3
  • 5mm
  • Black

Anyone have any experience with the types of setting one might use to cut these? and also to score them? I prefer to use 1 pass if possible because foam melts and the more passes I use the more melting occurs and I lose size.

I have found some specs for high density Oracle Tide 5mm EVA foam at 100kg/m3. Not sure if it’ll work on the medium density Oracle Tide…

• Speed 150
  • Full Power
  • 1 Pass

Any insight would be appreciated.

Updated:
Tests done

3 Likes

Hey welcome to the forum!

As for your settings there’s no substitute for testing.

Check out #6, I lay out a very quick and easy test method:

Like with most foams you can expect some increased kerf size, the foam shrinks away from the cut line as it cools.

10 Likes

As stated, you need to test.

As a starting point, I have settings for 5mm foam I get from Michaels at 325/100 (I have a Pro but 100 should be the same for all). Cuts very nicely for me. I think it’s Elmers brand, don’t have any leftovers with stickers still on them.

4 Likes

Thanks for the spreadsheet link. Although it doesn’t have a lot of foam options, other materials listed would be helpful down the road.

I have tried laser cutting 5mm foam from Michael’s (they’re really just soft and low quality tbh), and I’ve experienced kerf, but it’s inconsistent due to foam melting which is frustrating.

1 Like

Again, the spreadsheet isn’t nearly as good as a quick test. You can get it exactly right in 5 minutes, less once you set up the test file in the UI. Testing is so fast once you have that file setup that it’s quicker and more accurate than posting a question about settings.

5 Likes

Welp, I did the tests.
I’m more happy with the scoring than a cut. I can go over it with a hot knife, I don’t mind.

3 Likes

Black Isle 125kg/m3

Score

Speed 250
Power 80 to partial cut
Power 50 to mark

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting your findings.

2 Likes