Megalodon Tooth Shadowbox

I acquired a Megalodon shark tooth fossil recently, and created a shadowbox that fits in a kallax shelf filled with knick-knacks. Fun box project using 1/4" cherry plywood and clear acrylic.

63 Likes

Beautifully done! Is the box openable if you want a closer look?

15 Likes

The unsolved rubikā€™s cubeā€¦ makes me want to solve it.

Very cool display though!!

6 Likes

Neat!

4 Likes

I came from that thread to this so at first only saw this muchā€¦
beef
and was trying to make out the rest :crazy_face:

7 Likes

nice. normally i look at big finger joints and think ā€œmeh,ā€ but for this, it really seems to work.

6 Likes

Not really. The finger joints are not glued, but the fossil is fragile, so I made it enclosed as to prevent any mis-handling.

8 Likes

The one in your avatar isnā€™t solved either! :wink:

10 Likes

Great job! That looks fantastic! And what a treasure! I like everything in your box thatā€™s with it!

6 Likes

Awesome

2 Likes

Yes, but I did solve it!

5 Likes

Fine mounting and display for that wonderful fossil!
That creature was alive for many years to grow to such size, you can only wonder what other vanished species it sliced into. The last thing they saw was that monster @deirdrebeth pictured. There arenā€™t all that many examples of natural selection (trial and error) that reached the absolute apex in design that many millions of years ago and are still around.

I imagine a specimen that size isnā€™t easy to come by.

6 Likes

I bought this one from my physical therapist, whose boyfriend is a diver and is quite good at finding them. She brought about 8 examples to choose from. They even have a number of bigger ones, but those were a bit too expensive. This one had a tip that was intact, which is how I picked it. Interestingly enough, she is a creationist, so it was fun constructively discussing whether the tooth was 4,000 years old, or 6 million years old as dated by science. Itā€™s definitely a great addition to my personal collection.

10 Likes

A meg tooth diving trip is on my bucket list. Very cool display!

4 Likes

Very neat display!

4 Likes

:sweat_smile: An adventure in dipomacy.

Looks like a crown jewel to me. Iā€™m guessing that was collected in South Carolina - Florida?
(BTW, Iā€™ve got one of those about 3/4" long :upside_down_face:)

5 Likes

If anyone is interested tons of shark teeth are all over on the beach just south of Venice Fl and just offshore. Back when Jaws was just out, I would go over for the weekend and wander about and collect stuff, and then buy out the teeth from the little store there, then go back to the Science Museum in Miami and sell the teeth for enough to pay for the weekend. :grin:

The water there stays shallow quite a ways out and there is a lot of folk scouring the beach, but if a tooth is a half-inch down it will go unnoticed. I have also found lots of other fossils there like a turtle shell and lots of petrified wood/bone etc. that most folk donā€™t even look there.

If you had one of those floating compressors you could bring back barrels full of various teeth and perhaps a couple Megladon teeth in the process.

7 Likes

Reminded me of my friend who dives.
He is always wearing a shirt that has panic eyes behind diving goggles.
It says ā€˜At 100 feet, nobody can hear you screamā€™.

5 Likes

This is really great, beautiful design that really highlights and draws attention to the tooth :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea. Wonderful execution, too.

6 Likes