Mehndi Mandala Truncated Dodecahedron

Here is my latest polyhedral to add to the collection, this is a Truncated Dodecahedron engraved on walnut plywood with maple accents. The mehndi mandala designs were purchased off creative market, and then modified to fit the decagons using the Mirror plugin from astute graphics. As usual, connectors were designed in Fusion 360 and 3D printed.

37 Likes

Fantastic!!

2 Likes

Pleasing.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! Thanks for including the partially assembled pics! Great job!

3 Likes

Beautiful!

2 Likes

I think this one is your best yet!

2 Likes

That looks amazing! Love the 3D printed pieces. How long do they take to run? I still have mine in the box. Haven’t had time to play with it. LOL

2 Likes

Awesome

1 Like

This is a new style connector for me, as I normally have a separate connector for each apex. It was easier to create this shared-style apex connector in fusion 360 if that makes . The downside is the shape now has a fixed size, where as doing it the other way allows you to make it bigger. It also used more plastic on the 3D printer. But, it’s also very solid. Probably like 24 hours on the printer in multiple batches.

2 Likes

It really is great! I need to start making pieces to work on my GF stuff.

1 Like

Wow, it looks fantastic. Beautiful!

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like you could scale it up but the triangles are fixed, and that the larger you made it the more like a regular dodecahedron it would become. It’d work, right?

The edges on mine are 1” on both the triangle and decagon. I think they need to be the same edge geometry, and that’s how the connectors are designed. maybe I could tweak.

The definition of a truncated dodecahedron is that the decagonal edges are identical but, yes, it’s just a dodecahedron…

You could call it the semi-truncated dodecahedron. :smiley:

1 Like

Right I mean you can’t scale it in the traditional stretch way, you’d need to extend the lengths of alternating sides of the decagons while keeping the screw holes in the same size and proximity to their closest corners. It’d be some variant on a truncated dodecahedron but the connectors should work if you keep those constraints, I’d think.

1 Like