Melty - ish inside edges when using Acrylic - Settings help?

This looks like the reflection of the beam off of the grid that burns the bottom of the piece that you are cutting. Your power is too high for that material. Try it with the power reduced or speed up the cut.

1 Like

Are you absolutely certain thats proofgrade acrylic??

1 Like

I donā€™t believe I am supposed to need to adjust the settings when using proofgrade, right?

This is the piece I made both of the cuts from. Ordered from the GF shop.

2 Likes

Overall the black piece is about 2 -1/4 by 2 -1/4. The green piece is about 1 - 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch.

1 Like

Weird that support has not responded yet though .

1 Like

Yeah. Iā€™m surprised too. My husband, who is the technical ā€œownerā€ of the machine emailed them as well and we have not heard anything.

Also, I should note that draft board and wood seem to be working just fine. We have some clear acrylic and Iā€™ll try that to compare.

2 Likes

Itā€™s good to hear that itā€™s working properly on other materials. Hopefully you just got a bad batch of acrylic. Itā€™s also possible that the default settings for PG black acrylic are just wrong. Iā€™d test it myself but I donā€™t have any black acrylic on hand.

1 Like

Nope. I just did a project a week and a half ago that worked fine (Death Star clock). No issues with either the engrave or the cut. There something up with this one - itā€™s not normal.

2 Likes

Ghetto tech support in actionā€¦lol

2 Likes

Just ran this one, got a teeny bit of melty edge but not really that noticeable in real life unless youā€™re really looking for it. This is on par with pretty much all the other acrylics Iā€™ve ran, Proofgrade or not. Itā€™s more visible on black just due to the nature of the color, nearly invisible on clear or white and other more reflective colors.

It looks like yours may be excessive. Itā€™s hard to tell without something else in the frame for scale reference but it does seem like you need official support.

2 Likes

Another vote for ā€œthatā€™s really weirdā€. Is there a special setting for black PG? It looks way overcut, as in some multiple of the needed power or fraction of the right speed. (And I know with the acrylics Iā€™ve cut that itā€™s possible to do much better than that.)

Weā€™ve seen this happen in the past when the design has a double outline, which causes your Glowforge to cut your print out twice - that might be something to check for. Weā€™ll take a look at the settings, too. Thank you for letting us know!

5 Likes