Memorial Tile for my uncle

tile

After my uncle died, I made these tiles as gifts for my aunt and cousins. I started with the idea of engraving a nice quotation, but then I got thinking about and all the things that made my uncle special, and I ended up filling the background with every little thing I could think of about him: names of family members (including his wife, kids, grandkids & great-grandkids, his parents, sister, nieces, aunts, and uncles), every address he ever lived at, where he went to school (from elementary school thru university), where he worked, his military service, and a list of all the things he loved to do. I had room to repeat the fine print twice, which was good because I removed the text behind the quotation and this way nothing was left out.

29 Likes

This is beautiful and meaningful too. What a great tribute - I’m sure this brought your family a lot of comfort.

2 Likes

What a thoughtful gift! Turned out just beautifully. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is an excellent design and execution! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

How thoughtful!

3 Likes

I love your idea of filling with everything special about him…and I really love the quote. Very meaningful and a well-done piece.

Who is the author of the quote?

3 Likes

What a lovely tribute. Well done!

1 Like

A really great tribute! It would be amazing to have a grave marker with a place for another such tile that even strangers would come to know him.

0 Likes