Memorial Tile for my uncle

After my uncle died, I made these tiles as gifts for my aunt and cousins. I started with the idea of engraving a nice quotation, but then I got thinking about and all the things that made my uncle special, and I ended up filling the background with every little thing I could think of about him: names of family members (including his wife, kids, grandkids & great-grandkids, his parents, sister, nieces, aunts, and uncles), every address he ever lived at, where he went to school (from elementary school thru university), where he worked, his military service, and a list of all the things he loved to do. I had room to repeat the fine print twice, which was good because I removed the text behind the quotation and this way nothing was left out.

31 Likes

This is beautiful and meaningful too. What a great tribute - I’m sure this brought your family a lot of comfort.

2 Likes

What a thoughtful gift! Turned out just beautifully. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is an excellent design and execution! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

How thoughtful!

3 Likes

I love your idea of filling with everything special about him…and I really love the quote. Very meaningful and a well-done piece.

Who is the author of the quote?

3 Likes

What a lovely tribute. Well done!

1 Like

A really great tribute! It would be amazing to have a grave marker with a place for another such tile that even strangers would come to know him.

Most places where I’ve seen it the quote is not attributed to anyone, but the name Rossiter Worthington was attached to it in one instance.

1 Like