Merlin's Keep

Hi Everyone! I know y’all are excited about 221B, as am I, but I had an issue with the door that will require me to remake it and it irritated me beyond what was reasonable…decided I needed to set that aside for a minute and try that again after a side-quest. At one point, I also had to remake the floor piece, so I had a piece that had wood plank engraved that I needed to use for something, I also tried making a smaller chair that I ended up not using for 221B, and I still had my original mini-bookcase.

So, still on my mini kick, but wanting to do something smaller and more visible than a book nook, I created an open front/top castle room and filled it with magical stuff!

The walls are 1.5 mm chipboard with chipboard blocks I hand cut, black base coat with grey over it. The stained glass window is medium clear acrylic with the diamond pattern engraved, stained with sharpies, pressure fit in to a medium draftboard frame, which itself is pressure fit in to the chipboard wall. The wooden beams are dowels, and the front stone columns are medium draftboard. The scroll on the wall is parchment with toothpick dowels and hot glue “knobs,” black jewelry wire for the hanger.

The green and red books are make from parchment and cardstock. The candles are segments of a hot glue stick with black jewelry wire inserted for wicks, then sharpied. The candle sticks were made from wooden dowels with pony beads, hot glued to two buttons on either end, painted black then bronzed with a bronze sharpie (apparently my line between perfect and good enough is sanding the seems of the pony beads down…could have, didn’t want to.) The staff in the corner is a dowel with crochet thread wrap for a grip and a pearl-like bead hot glued on the end (the silver part is the hot glue). The bowl is store-bought with small bits of green paper in a puddle of glue, the pestle is a toothpick with hot glue ends, the wand is also a toothpick with crochet thread wrap. The sage is crochet thread. The crystal ball is a medium draftboard ring on a draftboard disc with a marble superglued on. And I crocheted the rug.

Thanks for stopping and taking a look, and until next creation, Happy Forging!

58 Likes

Fantastic work!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

That is soo awesome. TY for sharing the creativity.

2 Likes

But what does it SAY?

5 Likes

nothing really, just the runic alphabet.

4 Likes

This is just wonderful! Thanks for sharing your detailed explanation!

My favourite part of your description:

5 Likes

That is some amazing work!

2 Likes

I can just feel how much fun you’re having - it’s wonderfully delightful and I’m super jealous.

2 Likes

Wow, way to make something totally amazing out of cast off pieces! Your attention to detail makes it a perfect miniature magic room.

3 Likes

Great work! Love that stained glass!

2 Likes

Ohmygosh, it’s wonderful! Do you ever even sleep? Your productivity is amazing.

I really like that open hexagonal shape to the diorama.

3 Likes

This is brilliant!!! Such good work. :clap::clap: My dollhouse will now go hide it’s roof in shame. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Shows such great talent!

2 Likes

Wow! I’ve been working on a little fortune teller nook and I may have to steal your marble idea but I think it still won’t come close. I love everything about this :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This is just so delightful! Thank you for continuing to share your creativity with us.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing all the details. It is awesome!

1 Like

Excellent! Such detail and the paintwork and creativeness!

1 Like

I thought I’d seen all the bits in the picture, but then I read your description and there’s just SO much! It’s fabulous!

I made a full sized staff once in a very similar way - using one of those “crystal” doorknobs and a bunch of hot glue :smiley:

The candles are brilliant, as is the crystal ball - and the rug is adorable, and, and, and. I totes want to try that stained glass technique!

3 Likes

The marble is so perfect it hurts! Very cool build.

3 Likes