Meta pi

Well, I found out that my old netbook can’t upload files into the Glowforge UI. I had a raspberry pi 3 still sitting in it’s box, so I set out to hunt down a monitor, mouse, and power supply. Got the OS loaded after some time consuming noob mistakes I won’t bore you with. Signed into WiFi, opened up Glowforge app, loaded part, hit button.
I don’t know why it is so amusing to me to make something for an item, by using that item, but it is awesome. Like the first time you 3D print a part for your 3D printer.
So in review, I needed a computer for my Glowforge, then I made a required case for that computer by using that computer and the Glowforge.

54 Likes

Beautiful! :grinning::+1:

4 Likes

So you used the Pi to make its own case?! That’s a little too self-aware for me. :wink:

8 Likes

Looks like you need the matching wifi hotspot… :wink:

4 Likes

Video didn’t post

I have great signal already! Small house, only about 10 feet from WiFi, but I’ll Remember that (again) for later

1 Like

yeah, for some reason this made me think of ruckers’ wetware too-long-to-finish-ology.

2 Likes

Are the bands for holding while the glue dries, or instead of glue? A much better case then the one I was looking at, it was stacked acrylic and required screws. I need to make cases for couple of B’s and a zero too.

Did you get the file from thingiverse?

1 Like

The rubber bands are to hold the side panel on. I didn’t want to permanently glue it into the case. Got the file from thingiverse, but the search in the site sucks, google “laser cut raspberry pi 3 case” then look for thingiverse links. I’ll post a link when I get back on the other computer.
Edit: found it here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:432969
I was too lazy to make the clips, acrylic cement and a rubber band are more my speed :grin:

4 Likes

Nice. I like the wood one you made too!

Nice job! Really like the see-through case!
Amazing that computers have gotten so small that they can hang from a USB cable.
Does the acrylic’s ability to hold a static charge pose any issues?

2 Likes

I never meta pi I didn’t like!

7 Likes

I’m not too worried because I live in the northwet. But if you plan on moving it a lot or have a plastic table (or wear a polyester jumpsuit and like to disco dance), I would make the wood one.

2 Likes

:rofl: I never heard that, but I was stationed on Whidbey so I get it.
The forests up there are amazing.

2 Likes