Glowforge WiFi Pi Enclosure

Ok — time to test out that Proofgrade acrylic. Definitely not an artistic build, but I had a hardware project that I thought would be perfect as a first acrylic test.

Although the wifi signal in my workshop is fine, I had an unused Raspberry Pi 3 laying around as well as an open port on my ethernet router, so I decided to turn it into a dedicated wifi hotspot for my Glowforge. Idle hands…:smiling_imp:

I grabbed a design from Thingiverse and dropped it into the GFUI. The only adjustment I made was to replace the original logo with my own. Didn’t adjust for kerf, thickness, nada. I did cross my fingers, though. :wink:

Plugged it all in and pointed my Glowforge to the new wifi network. Super easy project (I’d say my RPI skills are “intermediate”), and worked beautifully, if I do say so myself. :blush:

63 Likes

Well I have to agree with you there–it looks perfect to me! What a great first acrylic project–you’ll probably be hooked now.

6 Likes

Been there done that! Great job on it! :smile:

6 Likes

Nice job! Looks great!

4 Likes

I don’t know what it is about the acrylic boxes, but I love seeing them. That is a great project. :grin:

6 Likes

Agreed! I’ve 3D printed many enclosures, but there’s something about seeing a nice shiny acrylic box that really makes it pop. I have some black acrylic on the way — I look forward to adding labels for each of the openings, e.g. Power, HDMI, Audio, etc.

7 Likes

Please show us a picture of them when you make them. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Love that! Great project. I am planning on making a pi enclosure in the future as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great, now I have to find my Pi and put it back in use. :sunglasses: