Metal Biz Cards and a few projects

People love the metal business cards I’ve been doing :slight_smile: The blue one is a thicker type card, think credit card sturdiness and the other a thinner “card”.

I have a good friend who is GM for quite a few stores in our region and during one of our lunch meetings I suggested to him to try some “key tag coupons”. I told him he would get an exact count of how many come back and not have the hassle of paper. People seem to love having a “cool looking” coupon and a few have asked if they could keep it! LOL
I just finished his 2nd batch of orders for his stores.

Wood for all the other projects are the 1/8" & 1/4" Hardwood Maple, which has been my favorite so far. But, I just received my order to try some of the other woods. I was disappointed to see that almost all my hardwood maple pieces are not flat and will bow in the middle where I cannot possibly ensure it is flat on the crumb tray. Any suggestions?

IMG_3548IMG_3658![IMG_3560|640x480]IMG_3499|353x500

IMG_3545

20 Likes

Oh, like the little house shaped ones! :grinning:

2 Likes

Where did you find the orange metal cards?

1 Like

Put something heavy on top and let them acclimate.

2 Likes

I actually purchased these GOLD ANODIZED ALUMINUM BUSINESS CARDS on Amazon but in the interim found a website with lots of different colors and thicknesses–www.mymetalbusinesscards.com :slight_smile:
FYI–Out of 50, 46 of them engraved beautifully and the other 4 looked bad. I don’t think it was the GF but something with the finish/color of the actual card. Still, 4 wasn’t bad out of 50.

2 Likes

If you flip it over so that instead of the middle bowing up, the edges do, you can pin the edges down and that will flatten the whole piece.

6 Likes

I had all of them in a jig and the 4 were all in separate runs.

1 Like

the theringlord.com has a large assortment and colors of metal like dog tags and business cards at a reasonable price

3 Likes

Can you share your settings for engraving these cards?

We used 1000 and full with either the 340 or 450 lpi

1 Like

and @mmullen501 Just a friendly reminder that we only discuss settings for non-PG materials in the Beyond The Manual (BTM) section.

Next time something like this comes up, just send a private message to the person you are asking or answering.

Assuming the boards are not huge in size, I would suggest keeping them stickered (putting strips of wood spaced between each board. Maybe 1/4” or 3/8” square) and weighted fro the top until ready to use. This lets the air flow through and keeps one side from retaining moisture and causing cupping.

1 Like

Got it! Haven’t been on the forum in ages so I guess I better catch up.

1 Like

Oh, that’s right. Thanks.

I was disappointed to see that almost all my hardwood maple pieces are not flat and will bow in the middle where I cannot possibly ensure it is flat on the crumb tray. Any suggestions?

I use a variety of magnets - some are super strong and have held thin (1/8 ") bowed wood flat for me. Just make sure they are clear of the cutting path.

1 Like

Though we can all identify with needing or wanting to use magnets to pin materials down, just a warning that the use of strong magnets can sometime interfere with how the air assist fan works…so if you ever have any issues like that, the magnets might be the culprits.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I haven’t seen anything about magnets interfering with the fan. However, I also have the Glowforge air filter, which most likely helps keep air flowing. My husband says it is like a 747 jet taking off every time I turn it on :laughing:.

The magnet thing was an issue early on. I’ve never heard of anyone having problems in a long time, and I’ve been using super strong magnets for three years without issue.

3 Likes

Well then…consider this advice retracted. I thought it was still a ‘thing’.