Meteorite Display Light Box

Recently the hubby has become obsessed with meteorites. He especially likes the small slices that can be mounted in jewelry etc. He recently bought a couple of pallasite type slices that are just too delicate to be used in jewelry, and would not look good used that way anyway, because they really only look interesting when light is shining through them. So I offered to make a display light box.

This was made from Proofgrade maple plywood, with a shelf engraved to hold the piece, then covered with finished maple veneer to hold it in place.

You guys know me–I’m all about the votive lights. This box has a false bottom made of white acrylic, and underneath it is an LED votive light. Switched on it looks like this:

I would have liked to decorate the box but the client requested plain.

I originally designed the box with a slit along both long sides of the bottom, to hold the business-sized ID card that came with the meteorite specimen. After the box was done the client decided it would be better to have the details on the box itself (!). So I made some nameplates from maple veneer and stuck them on the bottom:

And here’s what the box looks like inside–you could store something in there if you wanted:

34 Likes

Well that’s just unbelievably cool! (Makes me want a slice of meteorite for display as well…I do a lot of geodes and ammonites and stuff.) Didn’t know they were available for purchase. :sunglasses::+1:

8 Likes

That is so cool. I’m sure makers and client are beaming as bright as bright as the meteorite.

7 Likes

I have some great meteorites to put on display! Thanks for the reminder.

6 Likes

I also have an affinity for extra-terrestrial minerals. It’s the formation of them that I find fascinating.
The olivine crystals embedded in the nickle-iron matrix tell a story of planetesimal formation. It takes a large body to differentiate the metal from other minerals.

Very nice display for an ancient specimen dating to the formation of our star system!

8 Likes

He did say that it was out of this world. :laughing:

5 Likes

Awesome pallasite display! Also reminds me to get busy on a new display case for my wife’s collection… :wink:

4 Likes

It turned out beautifully … Knowing he was going to love it … Made the whole process super fun (I’m sure!)

2 Likes

How did you get the tealight to stay in place in the hole please?

:joy::joy:

I measured the bottom of the tea light and cut the hole in the plywood the exact size of the light. It’s held there by pressure, I don’t think it needed glue.

1 Like

@cynd11, congratulations on the display light box. Your hubby can display his meteorite and also brag that his wife made the display box!

It remided me of Adam Sandler…

…a lot of people don´t realize this, but you can put your weed in there…

:rofl:

3 Likes