Michael’s store wood boxes

Can anyone tell me what type of wood are those cute wood boxes that you can purchase at craft stores such as Michaels and Hobby Lobby? I have one that I wanted to engrave on for my daughter but being a complete newbie I didn’t want to screw it up.

Most inexpensive boxes like that are pine or birch.

Got a picture of the box in question? Sometimes you can tell by looking.

As for “screwing it up”, I mean… you’re the artist, so whatever you say goes :slight_smile: There’s no wrong. That being said, if there’s a look that you are going for, there’s no substitute for testing. Buy one extra box and test on it to dial in what you want to see… engrave small test images and you can test several times on the same box, make sense?

2 Likes

Here is pic.

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m going to guess birch. Hard to say. A test will be key

Can you post the smell LOL? It is probably some type of Chinese softwood. I might try basswood settings to start.

Is it soft enough for you do easily make a mark in it with your finger nail?

2 Likes

Thanks!

yes :rofl:

Online search for “michaels/Hobby Lobby boxes” brought up some links such as this one that said “Paulownia wood”.

I’d agree with gewubs that these usually are softwood. Usually the light weight of the ones I’ve seen remind me of balsa wood.

1 Like

Could be anything, looks a lot like poplar, but it doesn’t matter.

There is hardly any difference in settings for different woods, test with something that looks close, or just go with one. Maple, Basswood, even Draftboard use the same settings for engraving.

Mask first to prevent smoke residue. It’s hard to remove from softer wood.

4 Likes

Also, be aware that if you are planning to engrave on that lid, the variations in the grain interact with your design in a way you may not expect. When there are rings in the wood like this, the harder parts will engrave more lightly than the softer parts. It’s just the nature of the wood.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your input.

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.