Mickey Ears Custom Design

@marmak3261 where do you usually collect your cardboard from?

You can also get veneers of many types of exotic woods and have the same as you have with the MDF centered plywood, only there would be 3 or 5 layers of actual strong wood instead of the MDF.

1 Like

We got a new HVAC unit two months ago at work for one of the offices. It had a big box with some excellent flat cardboard, so I nabbed that. I keep an eye out for it all the time. Boxes that photocopy paper comes in iare very good. The top is a good flat sheet and the sides, while not too tall are good and straight generally with no creases. Anything that has a flat surface area bigger than a 10x15 sheet is what I look out for. Then I use the hold down pins or strong magnets to ensure flatness.

2 Likes

Just to update, she was beyond ecstatic about them, and they slipped on her head perfectly without anything breaking, so we can put this one in the success column!

7 Likes

Hooray!

1 Like

Awesome. Post pics when you get back from Disney!!!

1 Like

Can you PLEASE PLWASE PLEASE share the file? Iā€™ve been trying to make these for my granddaughter and love these!! Also how do you attach them to the headband??
Thanks so much! Magikmonica@gmail.com

The enthusiasm is on fire.
But we do try to stick with the FAQ and not ask people to share files. Preferring to not put pressure on creators to share things they may not be comfortable or want to share regardless of reason.

Also, itā€™s been 5 years since this thread died.
#necrogame

6 Likes

Hi Westly James,
Iā€™m so sorry I did not know we are not supposed to ask for help? I thought thatā€™s what this community was for?? If you do not want to share just say that. Itā€™s ok. Iā€™ve just been really struggling on how to make these for my grandaughter and itā€™s driving me nuts. Do you sell the file? Or do you know where I can get a file? I canā€™t find anything! And am I allowed to ask what you used to connect the ears to the headband? I am not sure if hot glue is strong enough

1 Like

You absolutely can ask for help - you cannot ask for files per the rules of the forum: FAQ - Glowforge Owners Forum

3 Likes

Oh my gosh I did not know. Iā€™m new and donā€™t go on here much! Do you have any videos to help me learn to make these? I just loved them so much my daughter sent me the link to see them here. So thatā€™s why I asked other ones Iā€™ve seen have the files linked to them already so I thought maybe I missed it, so I asked. Sorry if I offended you. If you want to sell the file give me the link where you sell it. If not thatā€™s ok. But if we can ask to learn to do it can you please help me out?

1 Like

I see that you have been a member of the Forum since February 2022. Reading the forum is a great source of information. Working through the Glowforge tutorials teaches you how to use the machine. As for designing files, that is a whole other world. As the original poster mentions, they worked on this particular file for well over a week. It is not an easy process for many people to translate a vision into an actual item. You will need design software such as Inkscape, Affinity Design or Adobe Illustrator to design files from scratch. Many users find it is much easier and quicker to go to Etsy and buy laser ready files. The Disney folks are pretty ruthless when it comes to going after people that sell files for their proprietary characters. That being said, you will find plenty of Disney stuff being sold on Etsy.

4 Likes

I would presume you have had your Glowforge for over a year as well, That design concept is not a hard one. Inkscape costs no money to download though there is a learning curve on anything you use. There are tons of YouTubes teaching Inkscape and the basic stuff is not that hard, and with that power you can design all you want.

Oh and while Disney can be harsh, Steamboat Willy is past its copyright so they need to be Steamboat Willy ears.

2 Likes

No problem. Welcome to the group! I wandered in here knowing nothing, and this community gave me all I needed.
I would highly recommend downloading Inkscape And investing a bit of your time to learn it, This would be a good place to start. It really isnā€™t difficult, it may seem overwhelming initially but thatā€™s only because it is new to you. Itā€™s really quite simple, and once you start using it, your only limit is your imagination.
The forum here is where you can ask any question, and we would be glad to help you out.

5 Likes