Micro House In Paper

So a few years ago I designed a pattern for a glitter house styled after my own house. I got the scale down to under 4.5 inches. The printed pattern fits on two letter-size sheets of thin cardstock. Since I didn’t have a Glowforge back then I had to cut it out by hand with an exacto and a magnifier. It took ages, but I love my tiny house. It sits on the mantle at Christmas.

Fast forward to current times: since I got my Glowforge, I decided to use the same house pattern I created to cut another kit. While I was setting up the file for the glowforge, I wondered if I could shrink the pattern down to an “ornament” sized house. After a little tweaking, I was able to fit the entire pattern onto a half-letter size sheet of card stock. The Glowforge scores and cuts the tiniest details, producing a micro pattern of my house that when assembled is just under 2.5” tall!

Here’s prototype no. 1 on a full sheet on the forge:

I used 105 lb Stardream Metallic stock. It’s plenty thick, good quality and can take a deep score without coming apart (important when bending gluetabs the size of a grain of rice). Comes in a good variety of colors. Hopefully they continue to make this paper. I may make other micro houses for friends and neighbors. So it was back to a magnifier and tweezers to assemble this house, which used less than two drops of glue.

Anyhow…

This is a photo of my real house decked out for our neighborhood’s late summer lantern festival. While assembling my wee Glowforge house, I decided to hang “lanterns” from the porch. To give you an idea how tiny this is, the lanterns are 4mm opalescent glass beads on the thinnest wire headpins I could find.

Like his bigger brother, this micro house has peach vellum windowpanes, and a mini button-battery light for glowing windows.

I haven’t decided if I want to make a version with cardstock colors to match my house paint colors or if I want to try to tweak the pattern a bit more to get closer in accuracy. For now, I’m considering painting this little one, coating with glitter, or maybe just leaving as is.

91 Likes

That’s beautiful! As is your mini one - I know what a pain it is to Xacto score paper in straight lines :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It’s so cute! Love the lanterns!

6 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this project with the community. You are really masterful with these mini and micro houses. Beautiful.

7 Likes

Super cool

5 Likes

It really is small. Makes your quarter look big. The detail is amazing too.

6 Likes

That is amazing! A true talent!

7 Likes

Absolutely precious!!!

4 Likes

I would bet that with very light flat scoring you could add the texture and trim.

6 Likes

Great idea. The Stardream is lighter with a grey core under the metallic surface. Could get some cool effects I think!

2 Likes

Just a Little Smaller and you got Ear Rings

4 Likes

Ohmygosh, the lanterns are genius! Love the whole piece, and now I want one like my house. :laughing:

5 Likes

I love this!! And I love those lanterns so much! :heart:

3 Likes

This is amazing. You have the patience of Job!

3 Likes

Love this!

4 Likes

Terrific house! Nice job, love the foldable parts idea! Going to have to check out that paper…

6 Likes

The laser is capable of fine details but my brain still thinks in dimensions driven by the capabilities of other tools. thanks for reminding me that i can think smaller.

7 Likes

I did find a limit with this. I feel like with the size of my fingers and my middle aged eyesight, I probably can’t go a whole lot smaller without some special tools and optics. :laughing:

7 Likes

I love them both! Excellent work!

Paper is the coolest medium.

4 Likes

Fantastic! I love the lanterns (both on the real house and the mini)!

2 Likes