Micro RC Airplane

Recently tried cutting balsa with my Glowforge and was very pleased with the results. Ended up laying out and cutting a few airplane ‘kits’. Just assembled the first and now ready for sanding, covering and gear. Absolute pleasure to build with the accurate parts. Renewing my enthusiasm in long time hobby.

65 Likes

Wow! I love that. You must keep show us the finished project.

5 Likes

Thanks!. I already started on the next one. You can really build light with the Glowforge.

25 Likes

I like this part the best.

6 Likes

I would love to make one of these one day. Very nice plane.

5 Likes

Agreed! It looks like a fun kit for kids and adults. I am sure it was long hours and trial and error. Great execution!!!

4 Likes

Super cool! Any vids of them flying?

4 Likes

Precious!! What do you use to sand? Dremel, emory board, etc

3 Likes

I love these so much Are you using files/designs found someone online?

3 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback!

Trial and error. Yes. Mainly adjusting power and speed to the particular balsa sheet. They vary in density. Also adjusting parts for kerf on these very small parts to get good fits.

Videos. Not yet. Will take time to finish, but I’ll certainly add when they first commit aviation.

Sanding. Just various grits of sandpaper glued to pieces of wood.

Files came from Outerzone. Free on line. Some are vector pdf, Some just pdf scans. All need some work. Tracing, sizing for kerf, part layout and tabs to hold balsa in sheet.

Give it a go. Might make you an aeromodeller!

3 Likes

I see where the rest of my Sunday is going to go! Thanks for sharing your builds and that site.

3 Likes

I love RC aircraft, and these look amazing!

4 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed building from plans and the Glowforge takes it to a new level of accuracy. I even got inspired to make myself some building tools and of course a nice box to store them!

11 Likes

Well, I finished one and it flew! It’s an electric conversion of a Keil Kraft Achilles rubber powered model I first built 50 years ago. Rather than use my modern radio gear I kept it basic by using the guts of a broken toy I found. And if you notice the logo, yes you can cut tissue paper on the Glowforge.

12 Likes

Oh, Cool! Thanks for the update.

1 Like

That’s on my todo list.

2 Likes

Finished another.

15 Likes

That’s a great looking plane. What kind of motor and controller is required for a project like that?

1 Like

Motor is a small (7mm) brushed geared motor. Integrated receiver with brushed speed control and 2 linear servos. Also a compatible radio of course. The motor is about $5 and the receiver combo $30 if you buy new out of China (Banggood).

4 Likes

This is just freaking awesome, love it :heart:

1 Like