Midcentury Style Fish Clock

Here is my first try at a wall clock for the bedroom. Drawn in Illustrator, it is made of 5mm multipurpose plywood from home depot(which is probably why there are a couple of glitches where there was filler and knots. It is just finished with a little antique gold acrylic paint. I made a smaller one to try out the concept, but although it cut fine, it was too delicate, so I beefed up the lines. One interesting detail is that I used the engrave setting for the lines on the clock face, setting them for 35lpi to create a texture.

42 Likes

Boy, the closer you look, the better it gets. Really like the clock pattern!

So you are saying that the entire area of the pattern (each block of lines) was a solid engrave, but you reduced the LPI to the point where gaps emerged?

Great idea!

John

1 Like

I love the detail the extra fish add. By itself, the big fish would be fine, but the little ones really add to the overall look. Good job!

2 Likes

Oh, it’s a little school! (Hubs would like that, he’s a fisherman!) :grinning:

1 Like

Just to be clear the engrave pattern is only in the circular clock face. If you zoom in you can see the stripe pattern is made up of smaller engraved lines with gaps created by the low LPI. The rest of it was just cut out, as it would take hours to engrave all that away. I wish you could change the direction of engraving, as it is an interesting way to create texture.

I guess a pattern control panel could be something that might be added to the GFUI. Maybe they chould have some kind of plug in architecture so other developers can add functionality. That seemed to work OK for Apple…

1 Like

My original cardboard prototype just had the one, but I did not want it to be too stiffly geometric, so the little guys break up the space.

1 Like

This is what I was planning to try tonight when I couldn’t get my svg to load. Glad to see the result of what was in my mind, works.

Nice!
I have bronze castings of 3 different sizes of fish on a wall, and to me the sizes give a sense of depth, where my Wife thinks of the smaller ones as babies. Perspective. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I love it when people make clocks! Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

1 Like

The gold paint really sets the scene. The engrave details are clever. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like