Miniature Garden Bench

[quote=“kmblair, post:1, topic:111605, full:true”]
_garden bench

I added some photos.
This is my design for a 1:48 garden bench. It was based on a design from the 1930’s (which is no longer copy righted,). As it is a miniature, it’s fine with me if you wish to scale it up to 1:24 or 1:12 I usually use 1/16" plywood for this. The bench in the photo was cut from 1/32” plywood, which is why some pieces are doubled. With the 1/16” you don’t need to do that.

The orange pieces are the back, seat, arms and under bench shelf. The ones in blue are the support structure. The 2 smallest blue pieces are glued to the sides of the seat at the front to act as front legs, the big pointy ones are glued to the sides in the back, then the back is glued between them at the same slant but in the center of the board. I usually glue it to the seat, but you don’t have to. If you want the shelf at a slant, you glue the funky little ones - triangles and holes- to the base of the feet- you can see them in the photo- and then the long skinny ones might need to be sanded a little to fit between them. If you want a flat shelf,don’t use the funky pieces- the shelf is glued on top of the long skinny blue ones, so decide how high you want the shelf to be then place them accordingly. (The real bench had a slanted shelf for drying your shoes after gardening.)

35 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Thanks for the share!!

4 Likes

Nice share, thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Ooh! Nice - a picture of the original might help :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for the share, but we need a photo of the finished bench please…

2 Likes

Thank you so much—love the tiny things. Would also love to see the finished bench.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing your work with all of us. :blush:

1 Like

sorry I haven’t gotten back to this - my only friend in the state of FL just left her husband and is thinking of moving out of state…

2 Likes

I am looking for my bench. the cats like to play with my toys.

1 Like

10 Likes

That really is lovely!

Thank you! I adore tiny things.

1 Like

I opened the file in the GF app and it came up the correct size - it’s 4’ long, which is 1” in 1:48. It does have a really big square which I assume it the background - that can be ignored. The file was made on my iPad with the Graphic app.

2 Likes