Minimal Wood Side Table

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my latest project video - a minimal wood side table that was made without the pass thru. The idea was to assemble all the pieces using finger joints, tabs, slots, and wood glue. For the material, I used 1/4 inch cedar plywood and applied a natural wood finish.

The video goes over the steps I took to design, cut, and assemble the table.

I hope it inspires your projects!
Tim

46 Likes

As usual, very cool!!

4 Likes

I really like the look of the cedar. Beautiful tables.

4 Likes

Thanks! I am planning to make a similar table, so this could not be more timely!

4 Likes

Thanks. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

1 Like

Great job Tim! Love the simple design and especially how you did the legs. Any thoughts on Rhinoceros vs F360 for design software? I was an F360 guy, but then with all their changes I got confused as to what cost what so have been looking for an alternative.

4 Likes

very, very nice!

1 Like

Thank you! I don’t have much experience with Fusion 360, but the biggest difference I’ve noticed between Fusion and Rhino is the freedom of design and the efficiency of creating complex models. For something like laser cutting, both are great programs to use.

3 Likes

I check out a couple of your videos, not all but,…incredible work!
I have F360 which I use for 3D printing. But, I haven’t used it for laser .svg.
Have you thought of doing video(s) tutorials on Rhino of how to go about doing some type of your basic designs?

2 Likes

I’ve thought about doing tutorials and I’ll create some when I figure out a way of teaching 2D drafting and 3D modeling in a way that’s interesting and engaging :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you; I love your work.

1 Like

Beautiful table! Awesome video!! Love the music in the video—very relaxing. If this was a Friday night I would have enjoyed a Scotch as I watched the video.

2 Likes

10 Ideas for making furniture like this:

So using the laser we all have a tendency to slip into laser making habits - so this is based on a list of notes I have stuck over my design desk to remind me to not fall into stereotypical laser designs.

1. If you are gluing, then you don’t have to make super-tight fits.
  2. Not every fitting needs tabs - the top could be glued on without tabs (or could be glued over the top for an extra layer)
  3. The join between the top two (or four) panels could have pleasing curves - not everything lasered needs a straight edge.
  4. Same for the legs, lots of options for putting detail onto the legs.
  5. Not everything needs glue - depending on your aesthetic nuts and bolts can work too.
  6. You can cut dowel or other peg and hole type joins easily on a laser - look at medieval furniture for how to build without glue.
  7. Don’t forget triangles! Triangles add rigidity to forms - so if your legs feel wobbly say - add a triangular brace.
  8. Don’t forget triangular tables - three legs never wobble (and also how do 3-legged Martians walk?)
  9. If you need to do butt joins - there have been loads of examples of really love shaped joints
  10. Instead of spacing tab joints regularly across a piece, making patterns out of the tab joints can add visual appeal.
6 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! Always good to hear that people are enjoying my videos :smile:

1 Like

Good ideas! Looking forward to seeing how you apply them in your projects.

That is amazing! It looks gorgeous and I love the cedar; I’m inspired. Did you use the cedar plywood from Home Depot? If so, any issues? What size is it and how much wood did it take?

2 Likes

Thanks! I used cedar plywood from a shop called Smokey Hill Designs. All of the cuts came out perfect using the settings that they provide.

1 Like