Mirror Mirror On The Wall | Magic Mirror

@karaelena That is a beautiful project! Thanks for sharing your awesome work.

2 Likes

Thanks Yves for posting this. Itā€™s a great project. Now Iā€™m kicking myself for taking to the recycle four older screens that I couldnā€™t think of a project for.

There is a good article here to give a good overview of the materials and assembly of the project.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing - I wish I understood more about what it does. Youā€™ve pointed to another rabbit hole of investigation!

This would be so nice! I have to go peek in the garage and see if the charging light is still blinking. :roll_eyes:

Amazing project!

That looks great. Much better than most of the others Iā€™ve seen. Did you use a ā€œrealā€ mirror? Iā€™ve seen a lot of instructions that involve making your own with reflective mylar and they seem kind of meh.

Fantastic! Great job.

That is ultimately cool. So cool, in fact, Iā€™m not sure I want to even bookmark this thread in fear that Iā€™ll get lost in the possibilities of it all. Yep! Way too cool for me. Not even going toā€¦ *clicks magicmirror link and poofs away for a long, long timeā€¦ *

4 Likes

I used a glass one way mirror. Expensive, but it looks better then the acrylic counter parts.

Not saying not to use the acrylic ones but I wanted something nicer as this I right at the front door. And itā€™s first job is to be an actual mirror. Not a fun house mirror. (Unless you get an acrylic one thatā€™s 3mm and thicker they tend to flex.)

4 Likes

Freakinā€™ amazing. Canā€™t wait to see what you do for Halloween!

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the Magic Mirror on my list of things to do for a couple of years now. Youā€™re triggering the itch that I need to do it faster :slight_smile:.

What size screen is that one?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve wanted to build one, but your post pushed me over the edge.

Iā€™ll have all the parts to build a magic mirror early next week, which is perfect since my wife will be on a business trip all next week. Iā€™ll build it, hang it and see how long after she gets back to notice it.

1 Like

I want to say a 24~27" display. The casing has already been trashed so I canā€™t double check the model number for the size. The display chassis was 14.5x24". So a good size.

As a side note you donā€™t have to use a large screen for a project like this. You can use a large one-way mirror with a smaller display in one of the four corners or in the center of the mirror.

5 Likes

Based on those measurements, and your picture, it sounds like 27" is perfect; which is what I had planned to use. Iā€™m going to have to do this now. Iā€™ve been putting it off for other projects.

1 Like

I know you know that you can check the app (iOS/Android) for charge status. But if you are using an iOS device and an Apple watch, there is an app called AutoMate that gives you proper watch complications that shows you all the things. Range & Change level, Direction, Cabin temps etcā€¦

Word of warning(s) about attaching 3rd party apps to your car.

Polling your car for info wakes it up. Which means it brings the MCU online to connect. Typically the MCU goes to ā€˜sleepā€™ after 15~20 mins and ā€˜deep sleepā€™ after 8 hrs. I am not sure if you have heard of the term ā€˜phantom drainā€™ but this is basically range lost idling. So the more you ā€˜wakeā€™ the car. The higher the value will be.

Secondly, Properly vet apps before you give it credentials for your car. The Tesla API gives you A LOT of info. SoC, Range, Charger status, Charge rate, Vehicle location, Vehicle Speed, Summon (if you have EAP) and as of v9, you can now see Radio stats.

The best way is to use a token provided by Tesla and use that as your credentials vs. your actual username & password. Unfortunately, this is currently mildly complex and requires some commandline foo. As for the Automate app, it does not store the credentials. It handshakes with the Tesla ā€˜cloudā€™ and connects that way. Iā€™ve verified this personally and have spoken to the developer directly. Very nice guy. He even added a complication for me which is now avaialbe in the app.

Another good app is called Tezlab. Itā€™s like a FitBit for your car. But be mindful of what apps you connect with and how many. As this will keep the car awake **unnecessarily and slow down your chance of getting updates but more importantly place a dent in your range.

**Your car checks for updates when itā€™s asleep & idle. Tesla does ā€˜rolling pushesā€™ thatā€™s VIN specific. So if your car is awake at its turn, it may or may not ignore it tell it gets proper sleep. Weird I know. But thatā€™s how they roll.

7 Likes

Iā€™m excited to plan my first Magic Mirror - dual display in the bathroom, one for my side, and one for hers. I really love your open top frame! Looks great! Iā€™ll be sharing this design with her. I think shell love it.

1 Like

Iā€™m impressed!! Definitely not something Iā€™m techie enough to even consider, but itā€™s very cool.

I want I want I want!!! I have my new Tesla nowā€¦(more on that later)ā€¦but just basic stuff even without the Tesla info on it (because I know it is always charged by the time I wake up)ā€¦I would love to have it display my calendar, reminders, weather, etc. ā€¦ security of course being in the top priority category ----------- I am sure my fianceā€™ is going to be soooooo happy you posted this ā€œjust for MEā€ (ha ha). such a cool project!

1 Like

so glad you said it ā€œthat wayā€ā€¦they are getting rid of some monitor screens at work that quit workingā€¦bet they would give them to me rather than pay someone to take them awayā€¦didnā€™t even think about it for that useā€¦ohhhhhhhhhhh man oh man!

2 Likes

What kind of one way mirror? The roll of one way mirror material or is an actual mirror better?

I would assume the roll of material on the acrylic should suffice, but double checking?

Did you continue to add on to this? I have now officially told my husband for 2 years that I want this for Christmas. Programming piece of cake for himā€¦ would love to see anything holiday related to it ā€¦

1 Like