Wanted to do some kerf testing and take a crack at some acrylic.
(Didn’t use the Proofgrade acrylic for this - I’m saving that for something else. The wood is a 1/4" Birch ply from Lowe’s. )
That’s our company logo - I made a little mirrored…uhhhhhm…thing, to sit on my desk and remind me of where I work. (No idea what to call it. ROFL!)
I had picked up a box (or two) of mirrored acrylic scraps based on a recommendation from someone here in the forum…it was a while ago, and naturally, I can’t find it now.
(Personally don’t care for the smell from burning acrylic, and this stuff really was smelly - definitely a point in favor of picking up the filter for this thing.)
To prep the mirrored acrylic scraps for burning, I removed the clear plastic film that came on them, and applied a paper masking tape that I picked up from SignWarehouse. (Front and back - I’ve gotten spoiled by the Proofgrade stuff. Didn’t bother with a mask on the wood, so it got a little smoky looking.)
It cut like “buttah” using the Proofgrade settings for acrylic. (Just in case anyone was curious.)
But what I really wanted to pass on, was how I got the slew of tiny pieces of waste acrylic from the cut, off of the grid without dropping all of them down through the little holes…it was as easy as applying a used piece of paper masking tape over the top, pressing it down evenly, and then picking everything up. The paper tape sticks very well to other paper tape, and it mostly lifted off in one piece.
(Truth in advertising: I missed 4 tiny slivers, but that was a heck of a lot better than dozens and dozens.)
The kerf adjustments I included into the file worked just fine…press fit and no glue necessary.
(I think it will look better in Walnut Proofgrade though, so I plan to recut the frame.)
There was a different measured kerf on the acrylic and the wood, so two test cuts and measurements were required for the different materials.