Moiré Explorer

Now this is neat! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Gave the project a matte black spray can finish. Learned that you can’t have too many clamps to hold together a lamination glue-up - might have saved me prep time filling gaps between the laser cut sheets. Also, found that the black paint and primer spray paint kinda sucked into the exposed ply sides and didn’t have a flat look - it took a second light sanding after a few coats were already laid down to get it nice and opaque.

11 Likes

Id love to see a motor put on it and some leds behind it possible foing on and off at the right time to increase the number of patterns

3 Likes

This Is super cool. Love it!

2 Likes

So looking forward to this! Trying to make sure I have stuff on hand to make my own when you find time to share the files - are the springs the little ones from inside pens, and are the ball bearings the skateboard size 8x22x7 mm ones, or a different size? What about the plastic washers?

1 Like

I originally wanted to do motors and lights, but would mean the gadget would get substantially bigger. I decided to keep this one small and simple, and am planning to have a larger version that is a lamp with more room for motors / gears / lights / switches / power supply etc

1 Like

Still haven’t gotten round to a write-up… soon hopefully!

I do know that the bearings are smaller than typical skate bearings 5mm x 14mm x 5mm

can’t wait to see it!

Amazing project! Definitely would love to replicate to make custom inserts for an Optikinetics machine.

Interested in the coloured acrylic backing. Is that etched as well, or printed in some way? Thanks so much for sharing this.

Doh. I just bought a pack of 100 skate bearings in anticipation.

1 Like

scale up the design… or let me know if you need 25 skate decks!

2 Likes

Wow…

spring loaded wonderment.
you get points for that for sure.

1 Like

Please release the plans for this!

1 Like

What an inspiring project! @kimpimmel could you upload the plans please?

Friendly reminder, @michaelgarfield and @tclear01, forum rules prohibit asking for people’s work. From the FAQ:

If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.

Thank you for calling my attention to that @geek2nurse! I normally wouldn’t ask for other’s work out of common courtesy, but it’s nice that the forum has made an official rule too. The only reason I did ask was this post from the original maker:

2 Likes

moire are cool, but your holder is outstanding. Very clever, very nice. And more than anything, very elegant.

whoa! how am i just seeing this!? this is absolutely amazing. just lovely, too. great job, @kimpimmel!

Always worth a look. #necrogame

4 Likes